!!(:BRISTLE NOSES SPAWNED:)!!

malawi_man

I woke up this morning and looked in the section of bamboo in the tank with my pair of bristle noses, and found a nice big clump of eggs on the roof of the cave, about halfway back. I was quite suprised because I though I might be waiting years yet!! oh well, i came home from school and the male was out side, does he take breaks sometimes?? otherwise he is normally on the other side of the eggs, fanning them with his tail. one of the eggs must have floated oout the door during spawning and was on the gravel outside the cave, i didn't bother picking it up, is it possible that he may have put it with the others?? What size is the best size to take them away from the parents?? The other fish in the tank are, one gold killie - (panchax??), one female guppy and a whole lot of males, the tank is 75cm long. I will get some pics soon!!

I just left mine with the parents in my community tank and I now have about 15 2cm baby bristlenoses. The male guarded the eggs the whole time, and is now sitting on another clutch 2 months later. Be careful that they can't get into your filter intake once they hatch, I lost a couple to my aquaclear 150 and only just saved another two from going down the drain while cleaning it :o .

Cheers,

Matt

Here are the pictures, couldn't work out how to resize them and then get them on photobucket, so they may take a while........

Here is the Female Bristle Nose....

BristleNose.jpg

Here is the male with the eggs....

bneggsmale2.jpg

same again....

bneggsmale1.jpg

and the bamboo section they spawned in....

bamboo1.jpg

sorry about the bad quality pictures, but it was kinda hard using the flash and getting even light and it didn't focus very well. :)

if someone could move this to the general breeding section that would be good :D by the way, they have all hatched now and are sucking onto the top of the bamboo. what do i do now, i chucked a spirulina disc in there :) the eggs sacks are still massive, anything else i should feed them??

Good one KK.

Isn't there a way to post photoes a bit smaller?

104,000 bytes and 223,000 bytes is going a bit far isn't it?

Then there are four of them, two a little smaller.

Nice to have the pics, but please down size them.

Alan 104

Yes they will. Why did you catch some? Cos you don't want them all in the tank, or you want to grow them on for sale? I have always just left mine.

When you feed them peas make sure you remove the shell first. Mine are happily munching on cucumber slices today.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you been feeding them some greens, mine love Courgette/Zuchini, i put in a piece about 40mm long cut in half with the seeds removed once a day and there's not much more than the skin left the following day. They seemed to like pumpkin to but makes a mess of the tank and filter.

I give my Courgette a 1 hr soak in a plate of water to get rid of the excess juice as it seemed to taint the tank very quickly. :D

They also like Nutrafin Bottom Feeder Tablets but it's similar to shrimp pellets, messy.