LED Moonlights

David R

There was a thread a while back about using LED torches/phones etc for a moonlight, I just picked these up for ~$9 for the three (batteries included!!) from Mitre10. They've got a sticky bit on the back so they could be mounted on something above the tank. I've sat them on the lids and the light is a bit focused (see second pic) but the shimmer effect and colour is great. Not sure how long the three AAA batteries will last, but as far as a cheap easy way to get the shimmery moonlight effect they seem pretty good! I'll have a play around with the camera to see if I can get a better pic once they're suspended a bit higher above the tank, the pic below makes it look lighter than it actually is because of the long exposure when set on Auto. Tank is 140cm long, so you'd probably only need one on anything <4' long.

IMG_6691.jpg

IMG_6688.jpg

hehehe, I tried those, the LED's lasted less than a day when wired to a phone charger that was well within the LED's specs. (4.7 V charger, the LED's had a 3x AA Battery pack)

they did look cool when they did work though, and you could get that water ripple effect on the tank bottom.

hehehe, I tried those, the LED's lasted less than a day when wired to a phone charger that was well within the LED's specs. (4.7 V charger, the LED's had a 3x AA Battery pack)

they did look cool when they did work though, and you could get that water ripple effect on the tank bottom.

What voltage was the charger actually producing? If it's unregulated and a low current it was probably over 5v.

and remember that LEDs don't like too much current either and a phone charger could be pushing out 300-500 mA

Yeah, but the voltage would probably have dropped down to or below the rated voltage if it was drawing 500ma. The max of the charger was probably 300-500, likely less.

my charger is 5v 400mA, the wifes' is 5v 350mA

Yes. And that 400ma and 350ma has little relevance to the amount of current it is delivering at any moment. If it worked that way then the instant you open your car door then your dome light would have the car battery force 500 amps at 12 volts through it. Which would result in it exploding and probably killing everyone nearby. Current draw is dependent on the item being powered, not the maximum amount the wall wart can supply.

I'll double check, but im sure it was 4.7V, 300mA.

if you consider the load provided by Brand new batteries (a AA battery puts out around 1.7V, peak amp's of around 2500mA)

it shouldn't have been a problem.

maybe it was just a dodgy light.

I have a bike torch that i'll connect up next and see what happens (I have a new soldering iron I need to break out)

I'll double check, but im sure it was 4.7V, 300mA.

if you consider the load provided by Brand new batteries (a AA battery puts out around 1.7V, peak amp's of around 2500mA)

it shouldn't have been a problem.

maybe it was just a dodgy light.

I have a bike torch that i'll connect up next and see what happens (I have a new soldering iron I need to break out)

Batteries do not provide a load. In this case the load is the LEDs.