I have a possibly silly question

lmsmith

I've got a 23l planted tank that is currently sitting around growing plants, but I have no idea what fish to put in it.

I've made a decision that killies are probably the best idea for me.

I'm planning on joining the NZKA this week (payday couldn't come soon enough!) as I think any way to a) put back to people who have offered me great advice in the past and b) learn more, is good.

I understand that NZKA members who are looking at selling fish will usually offer them to fellow NZKA members before poping them on trademe or whatever. But how does that actually work in reality? If I'm looking for killies, do I post a WTB here, or on the main WTB forum? Do I just look out for people wanting to sell? How do I actually get any of these adorable fish?!

I'm not even sure what sort I'd prefer, though striatums are super cute. I'm not sure how readily available they are. It'd be awesome to attempt to breed them. I've bred lots of FW fish before, and that's the biggest thing I miss about moving to marine. Fry are super cute and watching them grow up is amazing.

So, can someone please talk me through how this process works? How do I get some fishies?!

Lots of thanks from a new-in-the-very-near-future killie owner.

NZKA is very quiet at the moment, and has been for maybe over a year so if you post a request on there you may not get a response. Also the number of people with killies has dwindled a lot.

The people I know that have killies and who read the forums would read the WTB section and it wouldn't hurt to post a request in the general killies section as well.

As you are in wellington, There is someone selling trio's of Golden Australe regularly on TM.

If you were after different species, I will have pairs of Chocolate Australe ready in a few weeks.

If you were willing to wait longer, I also have Blue gardneri hatching at the moment.

I don't keep striatum though sorry, as they don't do much for me. But Redwoods has some/will have some shortly if you are willing to pay for courier. I can ask another breeder I know of if he has any Striatum.

As you are in wellington, There is someone selling trio's of Golden Australe regularly on TM.

If you were after different species, I will have pairs of Chocolate Australe ready in a few weeks.

If you were willing to wait longer, I also have Blue gardneri hatching at the moment.

I don't keep striatum though sorry, as they don't do much for me. But Redwoods has some/will have some shortly if you are willing to pay for courier. I can ask another breeder I know of if he has any Striatum.

Great work Aaron, I love the chocolate Australe, have you bred out the jumping gene in your killies?

I did.

Imsmith, as Calculator has said, there is no silly questions about fish. everyone here is still learning.

Any mop spawner will do well in your tank, the Australes that Aaron has mentioned will love your planted tank, the more dense the plants, especially floating plants the better, as the Australes love to spawn in mops or dense root clusters. It won't take long for the frish to breed for you either, just keep feeding the parents well.

Enjoy :cofn:

Great work Aaron, I love the chocolate Australe, have you bred out the jumping gene in your killies?

I did.

Imsmith, as Calculator has said, there is no silly questions about fish. everyone here is still learning.

Any mop spawner will do well in your tank, the Australes that Aaron has mentioned will love your planted tank, the more dense the plants, especially floating plants the better, as the Australes love to spawn in mops or dense root clusters. It won't take long for the frish to breed for you either, just keep feeding the parents well.

Enjoy :cofn:

I thought killies would be a great option considering they're known to be jumpers - the tank is like a box of water, and there's only a small opening. While it makes for a pain to aquascape, it's very safe for jumpers!

• 3 weeks later...

Most killies will jump especially when they get a fright and they will get through the smallest of holes so you have two choices. Buy trained ones from wok or tight fitting lids. If you want to breed them I would do it in a bare tank with a mop. If you have lots of plants they will lay eggs on that and be hard to find. If you just want to look at them you could just get male australe gold and chocolate, but do not add females as they will cross breed. I have sent you a PM with the details of a guy down here in the killi club who has probably the best selection of killies in the country.

Alanmin4304, I don't have any killies at the moment, all of them died of old age... :(

and the Killie club, sucks, so have no intention of getting any killies again until there are big changes in the executive.

If I did have them, I would offer them, all imsmith would have to pay is the courier.

I have known him for years. Has heaps of tanks, lost them twice in the shakes and still going. Breeds heaps of fish but like the rest of us is sick of the killi club but not the killies. I have no fish or plants. Had our seventh visit fom the builder and Fletchers this week and they think they may do some work after February. Should have a few fish after that with some luck. He has a good selection but it just depends what he has up for sale. Can get Nothos up for sale in 4-6 weeks but the others are a bit more. Redwood Aquatics should have some out of quarantine soon I think.

He is good at it. Only a few hours a day. I used to breed 50000 fish a year and thought I was doing OK. He would be doing way more than that. I love the ants he maintains as they clean up the dead fish if they get shaken out of the tanks. Virtually everything is bred in Christchurch tap water at about 45 ppm hardness and pH just over 7. He can't get insurance on tanks or livestock so he has been pretty gutsy to keep going.