Wall tank project advice (bracing advice please)

mcrudd

It would need to be at least twice as deep to accommodate discus in the long run. Maybe Angels but they get pretty big too. You can get some quite colourful small fish such as male guppies or tetras.

I thought so, I tried to explain to him that they get quite big and will need some space to turn around. I think its best if I just take him to Holllywoods and show him the bright little fish you can get in small schools.

Guppies is a no no, had them before and I don't like their testerone levels, they killed the females with the high levels, so they are banned from any of my tanks LOL

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never looked at them, will have a look this weekend, thanks for the suggestion

They are nice fish, the ones in fish shops dont show there full colours, they colour up a lot more in your fish tank.

They will go nicely with other small fish (they could look nice as a centerpiece with a school of tetras), the main problem I have found with them is that the males fight with each other (I currently have that problem with my two pearl gourami's as they both turned out to be males instead of females, and I havent yet got around to getting rid of one(you can have it if you want)).

Here is a pic of mine (excuse the bad quality photo):

26102012208_zps4aa7853b.jpg

There are different types that have different colors as well.

I think you should read my article about glass thickness before you consider filling this tank again. You can find it here:

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/?p=1732

This link will take you to a tool for calculating the safety factor on an aquarium (also at the bottom of the page):

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/?page_id=1529

When filled to the top this tank only has a safety factor of 0.742 which means it should break. The reason it didn't is possibly because you have glass on the higher end of the tensile strength range or maybe the 10mm plates helped somehow. Unfortunately, the builder of this tank like many other tank builders, has no idea how to work of the required thickness to make a safe tank. You can use the tool in the second link above to approximate how much you can fill the tank to get a safety factor you are happy with. I'd go for 2.5 minimum but recommend the commercial standard value of 3.8 as a better target.

Safety Factor 2.5 = 421mm (approx water height)

Safety Factor 3.8 = 366mm (approx water height)

Hubby came home with this fishtank, he picked it up at our local inorganics LOL. Its measurements are 140cm lenth, 71cm Hight and 20cm deep. We filled it right to the top, no leaks, but it will deffinetly need some sort of bracing as the glass at the top was bowing out quite a bit, enough to frighten us and empty it out quickly. :o

I think you should read my article about glass thickness before you consider filling this tank again.I'd go for 2.5 minimum but recommend the commercial standard value of 3.8 as a better target.

Safety Factor 2.5 = 421mm (approx water height)

Safety Factor 3.8 = 366mm (approx water height)

After showing Hubby this and he is deffinetly against the riparium for one or other reason it looks like this tank is gonna find a new home. Is anybody on here interested in it, perhaps for froggies or something. You will have to come pick up though, this tank is heavy :wink:

Else I might try my luck with it on Trade Me with a dollar reserve, no idea what to say than the sizes though :dunno: