680L planted tank build (25/2/13 new pics)

Wellydave

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good :thup: Awesome looking Apistos too by the way !drool:

Your "gold" harlequins (the more intensely coloured ones) are actually Trigonostigma espei and the "regular"/less colourful ones are Trigonostigma hengeli. Hope that clears things up for you :) They are stunning fish, especially the T. espei :hail: Both are common in NZ stores. To sex them, the females are usually fatter/larger, especially when they are full of roe.

True gold harlequins are a captive-bred mutation of Trigonostigma heteromorpha and look like this:

trigonostigma_heteromorpha_gold_1.jpg

thanks guys yeah im happy with the tank how it is at the moment just need better lighting so i can get some real growth going!

I'd rather normal harlequins to that

(btw the "Espei" are currently on the wholesalers lists as "Gold Harlequins)

yeah i would definately rather these than the real gold harlequins haha but exactly they were sold from the wholesaler as gold harlequins.

• 4 weeks later...

hey dude yeah ill add some tonight haha been pre ocupied with work and the nano so this tanks kinda been left to do its thing also still waiting till i can afford new lights for it and co2 ran out about a week ago i think so have stopped dosing ferts until i can get out to the refill place haha but will chuck some pics up a bit later tonight

pics sorry all off iphone so not best quality but you get the idea, since last update ive removed the camboba and replaced it with some twisted val and moved the red plant from the left to the middle of the tank also removed most of the glosso since the lighting just wasnt good enough.

FTS

IMG_1557_zps99846fd9.jpg

harlequins

IMG_1558_zpse6322d1b.jpg

big apisto

IMG_1562_zpsa2b00bca.jpg

little apisto

IMG_1567_zps10a380ed.jpg

little apisto again

IMG_1568_zps9263c1b1.jpg

little and big apisto

IMG_1571_zps975e5867.jpg

another shot from the right

IMG_1573_zpsc2f16ec9.jpg

• 1 month later...

picking up a arcadia 120cm 2x150w metal halide and 2 x t8 light fitting tonight so this will finaly be a high tech tank haha im going to try set up the lights so i have the 2 54 t5s going aswell as the t8s and halides. ALGAE COME AT ME! :thup:

• 2 weeks later...

hey all im now closing this tank down due to the need to down size :( will be keeping my apistos and plecos and making a smaller tank for them thanks for all the help and advise given during this build

p.s check out the private sale forum for whats being sold cheers

well thats a bit crap. oh well will see how it go's worst comes to worst it gives me an excuse to get another tank :slfg: both seem quite happy at the moment and have found them selfs homes at opposite ends of the tank in the caves provided but we'll see how they go.

Hahaha - It certainly gave me an excuse .. YES !! :)

as for the plecos they are both happy as larry they hang out together all the time no fighting and they are both healthy and eat alot. as for the not coming out because of high light they are both out for 70 - 80% of the time the lights are on so in the end it worked out fine.