680L planted tank build (25/2/13 new pics)

Wellydave

What a nuisance about your lights. Your tank readings indicate your tank has not yet cycled. How heavily stocked is it?

yes very frustrating these lights ive had nothing but problems with them also the timers i have are absolute crap when it looks like youve pressed in the buttons on them sometimes theyr not quite pressed in so you get the lights going off for 15 minutes at a time once in a while which is pissing me off haha

hmm well it currently has

1 gold nugget pleco

1 green phantom pleco

2 adult guppies and 4 babie guppies

4 ottos

2 blackline flying foxes

3 blue rams

1 apistogramma cockatoo

2 bristlenoses

1 male fighter

and most of those have been in there for at least a couple weeks now some of them (guppies bristlenoses blue rams fighter) have been in well over a month

i did the tests about 5 minutes after a 50% water change would that have any affect?

and as per the cutting dead leaves i have been removing most of the dead stuff but the camboba is definately not dead (its still growing well) its just yellow almost like what happens when you over fert tomato plants and the leaves start turning yellow but i dont know as for the java most of the stuff i got was quite small and seemd fresh apart from the normal java i got which was a big plant on a piece of wood and thats what seems to be dyeing off the most :an!gry :an!gry

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even with a 50% water change I would have expect some nitrate to show. No problem if not but just keep an eye on it for a while in case it is still cycling.

My cabomba has a few yellow stems as well. Never had it happen before.

With regards to java fern I have never managed to grow it in a high tech tank but have absolutely no trouble growing it in tanks with really low lighting. I put it down originally to the tank temperature gut think maybe the lights might have something to do with it as well.

Where did you get your timers from - I get mine from Bunnings and not only are they cheap, they are 100% reliable.

Even with a 50% water change I would have expect some nitrate to show. No problem if not but just keep an eye on it for a while in case it is still cycling.

My cabomba has a few yellow stems as well. Never had it happen before.

With regards to java fern I have never managed to grow it in a high tech tank but have absolutely no trouble growing it in tanks with really low lighting. I put it down originally to the tank temperature gut think maybe the lights might have something to do with it as well.

Where did you get your timers from - I get mine from Bunnings and not only are they cheap, they are 100% reliable.

hmm yeah i would of thought so too but who knows ill do another test tonight and see what the results are

as for the java i have some in my low tech and thats not going to well ither haha i just want some blimmin plants to grow on my driftwood haha

and the timers i got were the ones from bunnings cheap but definately not reliable im thinking of getting digital ones but my mates have used them in the past and also had nothing but trouble with them haha

and the timers i got were the ones from bunnings cheap but definately not reliable im thinking of getting digital ones but my mates have used them in the past and also had nothing but trouble with them haha

oh bother. One type I have trouble with but I find the ones with the timer off centre to the plug way better.

what about trying christmas moss or java moss on your driftwood.

co2 is on 1 hour b4 lights and off 1 hour b4 lights go off

Plants will take a while to realize that the lights are on before they start to take in the Co2 so could be a good idea to turn your Co2 on when the lights come on. (just if you want to save a little Co2). That way by the time the plants start to take in Co2, the water will be full of it with less wastage.

Same with when the lights turn off, they don't realize the lights are out straight away therefore keep going for a bit.

In nature the sunlight comes in and out slowly and not so instant.

I always had my Co2 on the same timer as my lights.

quick update with pics i took the other night

algae seems to be reseeding tank seems to be going alright still havent got new lights as most of my spare money is going into the nano salty im setting up atm but apart from that it seems all good!

fts

IMG_1314_zps1450a908.jpg

left side

IMG_1315_zps9e048ceb.jpg

right side

IMG_1318_zps66538d34.jpg

couple more pics of new stock. apisto's been in there for quite some time now but on friday added around 75 suposeably gold harlequin rasboras but since they have been added and coloured up it looks like over half of them are just normal harlequins :an!gry bit disappointing because they came basically straight from the importer to me i didn't get a chance to see if they were actually golds in the store. any who heres the pics

(give the harlequins a count and let me know how many you guys think are in there my count was 72 and gfs was 78)

IMG_1362_zps7e333d30.jpg

IMG_1361_zpsa8609525.jpg

apisto! (my fav character in the tank)

IMG_1353_zps2fe1ba55.jpg

IMG_1355_zps136a43d1.jpg

maybe the less bright ones are females?

i honestly dont know haha i was under the impression gold harlequins where more golden colored than bright orange like normal harlequins also was told golds were smaller than normals and the orange ones are noticeably larger than the golden ones? any help is going to be greatly appreciated haha have called the lfs and they said if they are normal harlequins its no problem to order more golds in and swap them out

I have a few golds, the colour is far more striking than the regular ones, only difference i can tell so far, no significant size disparities

striking as in bright orange? if so then i think its all good haha i was just under the impression they were more golden haha

I like your favorite character as well, except i dont think she is in the tank :sml1: :lol:

:slfg: :slfg: :slfg: funny thing is she can fit in the tank haha i told her i could get her a snorkle and mask and she could clean it for me.... needles to say she wasnt keen haha

Trade her in for one that is keen

haha no chance shes a good girl i can let her off for not wanting to be a mermaid.... untill i get that 3000ltr planted community i dream of then she will have no choice :slfg:

Cool mate looks like he is doing well :hail:

yeah man he seems happy as eating his mosquito larvae and blood worms haha stoked as with him

• 4 weeks later...

couple update pics of the tank havnt been paying much attention to this tank lately just been dosing with ferts every day and feeding have figured the lack of growth is due to the lighting not quite being adequate need to get some mh's for it and it should start cranking haha but since ive spent so much lately on the nano it will be a while till i can afford them :(

fts

IMG_3715_zpsf5d96e9a.jpg

side shot

IMG_3714_zps3d70d89e.jpg

gold harlequins

IMG_3708_zpsf5d7ff0d.jpg

gold harlequins again

IMG_3686_zps1a4f044d.jpg

left side

IMG_3694_zpse64abd1b.jpg

right side

IMG_3693_zps60d04ce1.jpg

only remaining blue ram (think he killed the other two while i was away as he was the biggest and only one left)

IMG_3713_zps8ccff12e.jpg

apisto

IMG_3689_zpsa8bf31ae.jpg

gold nug in his hidey hole

IMG_3684_zpsb72f7f66.jpg

Looks great, your val is looking really healthy I can't seem to get mine to grow at all, wondering if the temp I keep my tank at is just too high.

Those gold harliquins look amazing I've never seen them before.

thanks yeah it seems to be the only thing in the tank going nuts! my tank sits around 27 - 30 at the moment since its so bloody hot but every one seems happy apart from the two dead blue rams haha

yeah was really happy with them theyr awsome to watch and i wanted something a little different it was ither them or green neons but i think these look cooler