LED Moonlight

SamH

Last night when the lights were off in my tank, I used the camera flash light on my phone to illuminate the aquarium. I noticed this created a rippling 'halide' effect and all sorts of cool shadows. So I was wondering, what would I need to recreate this without using my phone? Really I want a unit I can plug into my multiboard and move the single, bright white LED to different places around the tank to create this effect.

Thanks!

You can buy any cheap LED light from TM perhaps.

dont go TOO bright, it disturbs fish if too bright.

but i had a moonlight, ust got a 12w energy saving bulb that kinda glows orangy in colour.

I can tell you, its awesome to see the behaviour of some nocturnal fish!

Any kind of LED will give you the 'shimmer effect' (I love doing that with my phones torch too!) so you could either browse trademe for a cheap spotlight type thing, or build yourself a simple unit.

I'm planning on using LEDs to light my next big tank and will certainly have a 'moonlight' option with just a couple of dim LEDs spreading out from one point over the tank. Something like this *click*, just without the rays and G. winemilleri :(

That is super cool! Do you know if the LED bulbs they sell to replace standard halogens would give that effect or does it have to be just a single LED? I'm also looking at mounting a 1ft warm white T5 bulb I have just below the tank to give the 'sunset' effect.

how big is the tank? and How bright did you want the 'moonlight' to be? Any light souce that comes from a point, ie. hologen bulb or LED will produce a ripple effect.

I just made this quick video for you. i grabbed a 7W led i have from one of my small tanks and put it over my 200L tank,

http://youtu.be/NR1952bLtIA

Its one of these: http://dx.com/p/10w-750lm-6500k-high-po ... 76?item=70

For my moonlight on my marine tank I soldered up a handful of blue leds to a wall wart. Way less than 12 watts, if I remember right they were more like .1 watts total. Much more I think would have been too bright.

But, easiest I'd suggest is have a look through the night lights section at The Warehouse or whatever. That plus a cheap extension cord to run to your power strip should do it.

I personally prefer LED without a reflector for a moonlight effect, otherwise it gives a very tight, bright beam. 3Watts is not that much light (sure i know thats the point haha). I know for sure the one i linked to can also be dimmed with something like this

It's all 12V stuff so you cant really muck it up, and its safe too.