L-168

camtang

I am currently looking at adding a L-168 Pekoltia Pulcher to my pleco collection. The only thing currently stopping me is that I only keep african cichlids and I wouldnt like to keep one in with them if they are really unsuitable. Has anybody had this sort of particular plec in with africans before? I have had a look on planet catfish and throught this site, but currently hacnt found any yes or no answers for the issue.

Any thoughts?

They are a great little pleco but personally I wouldn't risk it. Peckoltia pulcher is a trade name for the butterfly pleco, Dekeyseria brachyurus. According to Seidels L-Catfishes they do best in soft, rather acidic water with a pH of 4.5-6.5 which is the oposite of the alkaline water many Africans prefer.

yeah I dont know of many fancy plecos that would handle an alkaline African tank. Apparently flash plecos (Panaque sp. L204) have been kept in African tanks as they can handle pH's of 6-8 but personally I wouldn't risk it.

I have had my Flash plec's in the 7.6-7.8 zone for a while, but it became hard for me to keep the pH that high with consistancy.

They were doing fine.

Not sure if you can get one of them at the moment though?

yeah I dont know of many fancy plecos that would handle an alkaline African tank.

When you say fancy plecos what do you mean, more specific examples of ones to avoid I think I am asking. I have been reading a lot of threads on frontosa.com and they suggest a wide variety of plecs being suitable with fronts. that may however be keeping them alive and not in optimum conditions for the plecs but only for the fronts.

Also is it safe to say that althought I may hand over $200 for what has been supplied as a L168 to a shop, then sold as a L168 is not actualy a L168? being that they are very similar to a couple of other plecs? I ask this after reading through some of the discussions on this forum regarding sexing, breeding and general Identifying of these fish

fancy plecos mostly means NOT "common" or sailfin, generally don't get bigger than 15cm - but there are always exceptions.

So adult < 15cm = fancy

and / or baby > $50 = fancy

examples.

Royals. Size > 15cm but babies cost more than $50 therefore Fancy.

L140. Size < 15cm babies around $30 therefore fancy.

"common" Size > 15cm babies cost < $50 therefore not fancy.

Its just a rough guide without getting into species names and all that stuff, that can be looked up on catfish forums etc.

I say fancy plecos because you're thinking of buying an L168, i.e. an expensive rarer pleco and in my opinion also a very attractive one. Any pleco you are thinking of would have to be able to handle an alkaline pH easily to be healthy. So you could look at the recommended pH range for a pleco species you're interested in on Planet catfish or similar websites and see if its able to handle it. I mentioned flash plecos because they are a species I've heard can handle alkaline pH's, and Geoff has had no problems with flash plecos at a higher pH. I agree that any pleco you get should be healthy in your tank and its an expensive lesson if its dies. You could always set up another tank with a lower pH, heaps of cover (bogwood, rocks, etc), good water flow, and high aeration for an L168 or two :lol:.

To my knowledge the L168's that were imported recently and are being sold as 'Peckoltia pulcher', L168, are the real deal, i.e. Dekeyseria brachyurus. There have also been the similar Dekeyseria sp. L052's imported slightly earlier. They are somewhat duller in colour but otherwise similar, and they were also a bit cheaper. If you worried about sexing them then you may be after more than one, in which case I'd go for a new setup :lol: They are difficult to sex but there are a few hints on Planet catfish.

fancy plecos mostly means NOT "common" or sailfin, generally don't get bigger than 15cm - but there are always exceptions.

That is pretty much what I was thinking when refering to fancy plecos, just needed clarification on that to confirm.

You could always set up another tank with a lower pH, heaps of cover (bogwood, rocks, etc), good water flow, and high aeration for an L168 or two

Idealy I would love to set up a pleco only tank, but house space is at critical limit rite now so just not possible.

If you worried about sexing them then you may be after more than one

I was useing sexing more as an example at this stage. currently no desire to attempt to breed any plecs... for now that is at least.

Thank you both for your help and input on this. :hail:

Hi,

A more real issue that you may have is that the smaller pleco's are actually not very aggressive feeders.

From what I know of Africans, and I am by no means an expert in that area, is that they tend to be fairly aggressive feeders, so by the time you pour enough food in there for your expensive pleco to get a feed, your fish keeping experience will become quite different.

So even if you find a pleco that can live in the water, and if you can find one in NZ, then the next question becomes, can it be kept alive?

Just another thought.

Go on get another tank. You know you want to :happy2:

Cheers.

yeh I already encounter that, i feed plecs one end and cichlids the other, i normaly turn lights out about 20 min before i feed to give them a fighting chance, no issues thus far. and the odd vege on a stick seems to help as well

Go on get another tank. You know you want to

You are rite, I DO WANT TO, but every other aspect of my life says no :tears: