NZ newbie. Legal species

beverage

Thank you

This time I think I will base my aquarium around a planted tank concept. Previously I've been successful at fish husbandry but plants have been slaughtered and replaced as required. Algae covered leaves are so ugly. Looking forward to the new challenge in water chemistry. Is everyone using CO2 these days?

I suppose the first thing to get right is the substrate in my new tank. Planning 300l volume

I'd say get together a list of all the plants you are interested in growing and see what requirements each has -

No need to invest in a c02 system if the plants you like will grow like weeds in a low tech tank :D

I'm growing these as we speak in low tech tanks ( no c02 or fertiliser but with a daltons substrate sealed by silica sand and small black gravel mixed up )

Rotala Wallichii

Cabomba Caroliniana

Amazon swords

Java fern (needle leaf , broad leaf and windelov )

Java moss

Christmass moss

Cyperus Helferi

Assorted Crypts

Aponogeton Rigidifolius

I'd advise against starting out with plants you can get at animates, as every one I've bought from there has melted beyond recovery within a few weeks of planting. This may just be personal experience & bad luck - but I've never had issues with plants from people on here, nor from trademe or hollywood fish farm.

Depending on where you are located, I'd say chances are high someone can help you out with some cuttings to get you started .

• 5 months later...