Woot setting up first trop tank + few questions...

Insectile

Hey guys,

Im planning on setting up my first tropical tank this week :thup: . Im going to set it up as a SE A biotope, im planning on planting it with rotala rotundifolia, crypt wendtii, hygrophila polysperma, java fern, java moss and maybe some some water sprite floating on the surface. My first question is how to go about planting, can I order all the plants and just keep them moist until they have all arrived and then plant all together or is it better fill the tank and plant them as i get them? also with testing water parameters, are test strips, drops etc better or easier and if so what are best brands to get or are other methods such as electronic more reliable. The tank itself is only 20 litres so im planning on just stocking it with a shortfin male fighter.

Cheers

Matt

Unless you can float them in another tank, it's best not to keep them in the dark for too long. Planting them as they arrive may be the best option for you. I'm keen to see this tank, I have a soft spot for fighters :lol:

These are my observations buying plants:

*buying from LFS you usually or often pay more but at least you can see what you're getting

*buying through TM and getting them posted often gets you squashed plants but you might pay less

*buying on here has always gotten me good quality plants packed well but it's easy to miss out as they usually go quickly

I prefer to buy from here first, then LFS, then TM unless I can pick up.

I also have a few plants sitting in my new tank that aren't planted. Crypts you should definitely plant as soon as possible as they are fussy creatures. Stuff like twisted val and plants that put out runners often grow partly out of the substrate anyway and I haven't had trouble not planting them quickly. Saying that I weight them so they float the right way up and have some sort of stability rather than floating about in the current.

Plants with roots are much easier to get settled in and growing but most stem plants are pretty quick to take off if you get good cuttings. Lots of people will give away or sell cheap trimmings you can use, or if you post a thread in the wanted to buy section someone might likely do some trimming and send you a PM.

Plants like swords, twisted val, crypts, ferns come as plants with roots usually. If you ever get twisted val make sure just to plant the roots and not bury the green bit or it will rot away.

There is a lot of information on cycling here, it can be a controversial topic. There are couple of streams of thought - either use fish or not... if you do a search you will find more topics than you feel like reading :sml2: if you can get some filter media from someone else you can get the cycling started quicker.