What can i use to kill algae in a Turtle Pond Outside

lara3

What can i use thanks? i have a good filter with uv light inside (steriliser). Was just wondering what i can use if anything to get rid of the green? In summertime i could probably empty it weekly (i was last year) but feel this is a bit much

sarah

Yeah thats what i thought. I changed the bulb 3 months ago. Pretty sure i have the right filter its a hozelock bioforce UV. I brought news sponges and uv bulb for it 3 months ago. A friend of mine says a uv light wont kill algae just the spores. I brought the filter as i was told by a few people that the uv light helps to keep the water clean and that it kills algae

thanks

sarah

there is a formula to go by.the pump must be big enough to shift the volume of the pond over a given period.The uv does kill the algae and alot of other things ,bacteria etc.As the light intensity and daylight hours grow longer you can`t afford to turn it off at all,maybe at night when its dark?

could also grow some juncus pallidus (or any fast growing pond plant) down one end of the pond. it forms a good mat you can just thin out as it grows out over the pond.

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=juncu ... 00&bih=785

cyperus also grows well in conjunction with the above.

adding duckweed and or azolla to the pond as often as possible also helps. red ears will eat it too.

plants suck up some of the excesss nutrients and cut out light = less to feed algae.

longnecks love making tracks all through the juncus too :smln: