Filter experiment part 2

Likoma

Is your tank reading 0.25 ppm ammonia constantly?

Haha , yes that is what it says. My partner and I are constantly debating the Ammonia reading. I think it is zero, she thinks it is just above zero and hence “rounds it up” to be precautions. The water holding tank (where I condition the water before use) has the same reading as this tank so we are not worried about the results at all, but as a rule of thumb we always watch the ammonia very closely.

Given this is a brand new tank set up (3 weeks old) with quite a high stocking density I am really pleased with the ammonia readings, it has never gotten to a level I am worried about.

How is your Hamburg Matten Filter/divider working for you?

Thanks for posting up this link. Made for interesting reading once I did a bit of research on it. :smln:

I am thinking now of trying this out on my spare tank so I can put my new fighter pair in there.

My question's are, where do you get suitable foam for it? Do you need the PORET foam or any foam?

Thanks for posting up this link. Made for interesting reading once I did a bit of research on it. :smln:

I am thinking now of trying this out on my spare tank so I can put my new fighter pair in there.

My question's are, where do you get suitable foam for it? Do you need the PORET foam or any foam?

Good question 2 factors are key.

1 that the foam used is open cell allowing water to flow throughout thereby giving that massive internal surface area. The sponge you find in cushions, scourers are all closed cell. They will hold water but don't have the benefit of the surface area.

2 that there are no mold inhibitors used in the fabrication process.

We opted on Poret because of the high quality and long life span.

With cheaper open cell foam which I have also tried, I found the cell structure would over a short time collapse and show signs of shrinkage due to the pressure exerted.

Sometimes in life you do get what you pay for. More information can be found on the website in my signature.

We offer HM Filters for 2ft - 3ft std sized tanks for $45 delivered to your door. This includes the uplift which just needs to be connected to air-pump.

Choice! Glad we can get this stuff here finally, I looked at trying to get dad to bring some back from the states a couple of years back but couldn't get it shipped in time. Is 50*50 the standard size? I'll try design my next sump around that!

At the moment those sizes 50*50 make the most sense to save on wastage. I am able to cut down to 33*33 pieces in some thicknesses.

I have just put together another order that is pre cut in the factory with sizes such as

33*33

33*50

50*50

100*100 in thickness 3, 5 and 7.5cm and in 4 differing densities.

I would like to make 2 comments about your new video:

1) How do your fish speak for themselves? Is this a new trait that poret foam brings out in them?

2) I missed the music :spop:

What can I say I get nervous in front of a camera. Inform me of your birthdate and Ill ensure you get a mixtape(CD) of serious backing music.

Can this stuff be used in canister filters?

Yes as mechanical filtration. Because of the high flow rate experienced in a canister filter biological filtration is a hard to achieve without slowing the rate.

I would suggest the 10ppi density to aid the high flow rate.

• 10 months later...