Blueish shrimp from stream

Dr A

Hi there,

Went shrimping earlier this evening at a small stream/outlet on the north shore to see if I could catch this oft discussed NZ Freshwater shrimp, started off at sea level and worked back up the slope, found eels, whitebait and larger fish, and eventually lots of shrimp. Nice to see a somewhat healthy ecosystem.

I only managed to catch three but saw loads. Most where small, two of them I've got have "berried" (seems to be the common phrase), so presumably they're female... however the third one we caught is much larger and has distinct blue coloration over it's shell. It's nearly 50% larger than the others...

Is this out of the ordinary?

I can't find any pictures of blueish ones on the internet?

If it's a new species do I get to name it?

I've tried to take photos but again I'm let down by a camera phone, and it's not easy trying to photograph something that's essentially opaque at best.

Can't be bothered editing out the duds, I'll upload them now.

Even if they're not special, do I need to a quarantine them at all before putting them in why my betta? They're not known to carry any harmful parasites or diseases are they? They're overnighting in ice cream container.

I'm currently cycling a tank with my kids that is intended for Shrimp keeping....Like you I will have to get out there and find somewhere in Auckland that holds these wonderful little guys.

Did you net during the Day or Night time ?

Anyone had any joy netting them during the day ?

Will a Cheap largish Butterfly net work ?

Sorry to Hijack the thread but there is so little info out there on Native Shrimp.

Dr A, I've seen then almost that blue and redish/brown.

What temp is the betta at? shrimp dont like over 26 deg and will have to be acclimatized slowly from the probably chilly 10-12deg of the stream.

sup42, you can catch them during the day with a sturdy net pulled through weeds/grass/cress etc in the stream but they are easy to see at night as their eyes glow in the torch light

I hope you released the berried girls, they won't breed in your tank and IME they die a lot easier

as for the blue one, I hve found one that was a dark green before, not translucent either, but they tend to ID shrimp species by their rostrum (the spikey thing between their eyes) and their tails.

good on you for getting out there in this weather :yaw2:

Righto, well I'll have to get them out of the ice-cream container.

Betta's @ 25 degrees, I'll warm them up anyway over today, double ziplock bag with some of the colder water in the outside jacket should slowly warm them up.

@F15, didn't know that, that's a shame, unfortunately I can't do much with them now short of keeping them in a icecream container until Sunday.

I netted them at night with just a small fish net (3" or so wide). Wasn't very easy as these guys were free-swimming among the rocks in the bottom of the stream, they didn't seem to be near the edges/weeds. Went at night, suspect you wouldn't see them at all during the day.

I'd recommend the Chelsea Sugar Works, where I went was near there (so therefore I assumed would harbor them too), but it wasn't "easy" to access, the bush was so dense I was liberality walking up the clay banks of the creak from the sea.

I should be able to wrangle some better photographs of the blueish one once it's in situ... I had these crazy visions of MAF coming and sterilising the tank due to a foreign species being found, good to know a few color variations exist.

He's tripple-bagged in the tank now. I know it's slowly warming up as lots of micro-bubbles are forming.

Anyway he's picked up a long dark stripe along his back now as the water is getting warmer...

Pic. Hopefully my betta doesn't get strangled in the plastic and die while I'm at work.

Well they're in the tank.

One of them (the one that was super berried up) died and went pink.

The big / blue one still has that stripe. Anyone seen any like that before? He(or She) is almost as big as the betta (tail and all).

I'll dig out the digital camera and get some photos this evening.

I think my brother wants to go with me tonight to see if he can wrangle some. I could put some in my outdoor pond too we'll see what happens there.

Went back, didn't collect anything, but noted that there seemed to be far less shrimp around, although climatic conditions were almost identical.

Also noted that that there were more of the larger "blue" ones, none of which were berried. Only smaller ones were.

Did manage to snag one of the fush long enough to take a photograph though. Presumably this is what the whitebait that was in the stream will turn into?

538946_10151086629899092_1717154683_n.jpg

They can be, but not too bad. Like any drift feeder they will each have their favourite spot. I've seen 4 kokopu in the same 3-4m x 1.5-2m pool, each had their own spot with the bigger fish at the top and the smallest at the tail.

Sounds like there were good numbers of them which is good to hear.

Proof Trademe does work, I reported the listing of the freshwater shrimp as it is illegal to sell native fauna and I do not believe he has been breeding them himself and this is their response;

"Dear Jamie,

Thanks for reporting the listing for: FRESH WATER SHRIMP COLD & TROPICAL.

The Trade Me Customer Support Team have reviewed the listing and has deemed that it is in breach of our terms and conditions. As a result the listing has been removed from the site.

Thank you for bringing this listing to our attention and making Trade Me a better place to buy and sell.

Happy trading

Trade Me Customer Support"

Now I wonder how long till he just starts another auction :slfg: