March 3, 201313 yr Author comment_521556 you will need to keep your bacteria in filter alive So keep the filter going in this tank then? I can take it out and put it in another tank to keep everything working. I run my co2 an hour before the lights come on and turns off an hour before they go off dude. Saweeeet Report
March 3, 201313 yr comment_521557 i assume plant only tanks don't need filtration? or flow? stopmeifi'mwrong Report
March 3, 201313 yr Author comment_521558 flow stops algae I thought. unsure about the rest, hence the question Report
March 3, 201313 yr comment_521562 If you have big dead spots where there is no flow then you will get algae.. most likely. Report
March 3, 201313 yr Author comment_521575 just keep the filter in there Yeh I have, it was still running the powerhead part to the internal so I figured leaving the end catridges wouldnt make any diffrence. Report
March 3, 201313 yr comment_521586 gotta love how when you ask a question on fnzas you get everything but the answer. Report
March 3, 201313 yr comment_521596 i assume plant only tanks don't need filtration? or flow? stopmeifi'mwrong Plant only tanks need just as much, if not more flow than a fish only aquarium. However, the filter need not be capacious due to no fish waste. Powerheads only will suffice so long as you run a mechanical filter to clean up debris. Flow of fresh water around the plant's leaves are what feeds it nutrients, without flow of freshwater they will suffer and give in to algae, resulting in an unhappy planted aquarium! FNZAS! Where you get ALL the answers Report
March 3, 201313 yr comment_521597 flow is really important in a planted tank! its really helpful for hair algae and as mentioned help remove dead spots. the idea behind starting the co2 before the lights on is that its at 30ppm (or what ever you want it at) when the lights come on. start with an hour and from there. i have mine come on 2 hours before lights on. if you're going plants only go nuts on the co2,i know aguy who has a liquid death concentration of co2 in his plants only tank, 0 algae. Report
March 4, 201313 yr comment_521678 I run my co2 an hour before the lights come on and turns off an hour before they go off dude. What's the point in adding CO2 with the lights off ?- plants only utilise CO2 in the prescence of light plus what do you think your fish have been producing all night while they breathe? Report
March 4, 201313 yr comment_521687 What's the point in adding CO2 with the lights off ?- plants only utilise CO2 in the prescence of light plus what do you think your fish have been producing all night while they breathe? To build co2 levels up near optimum ppm so once the lights turn on plants start utilizing it. Report
March 4, 201313 yr comment_521696 To build co2 levels up near optimum ppm so once the lights turn on plants start utilizing it. :gpo2: As far as I know, plants start to use CO2 as soon as the lights come on whereas CO2 takes a while to fill the water. By the time the lights come on, the CO2 has a one hour head start and giving the tank one hour for the plants to use the last of any remaining CO2 ensures the fish are kept happy and healthy :thup: I just noticed your location, feel free to PM me if you wanna take a look at my tanks or visa versa, I'll be just down the road no doubt Report
March 6, 201313 yr Author comment_521875 i know aguy who has a liquid death concentration of co2 in his plants only tank, 0 algae. Continue....... I would like to know about this concentration, possibly get some for myself Report
March 6, 201313 yr comment_521887 Continue....... I would like to know about this concentration, possibly get some for myself haha he just absolutily crank his co2 till the fish cant survive. his plants flourish to the max though. hes drop checker has gone past yellow and is just clear Report
March 10, 201313 yr comment_522314 :gpo2: As far as I know, plants start to use CO2 as soon as the lights come on whereas CO2 takes a while to fill the water. By the time the lights come on, the CO2 has a one hour head start and giving the tank one hour for the plants to use the last of any remaining CO2 ensures the fish are kept happy and healthy :thup: I just noticed your location, feel free to PM me if you wanna take a look at my tanks or visa versa, I'll be just down the road no doubt Now you have me trying to recall all the other science I studied years ago, I.e. the gas laws.maybe I should stop that before it does my head in! :smln: :cofn: Report
March 19, 201313 yr Author comment_522909 This algae is doing my head in now. Should I A) do a black out? B) pull it apart and start again or C) be paitent? C02 ran out the other day so I dont have that going in until maybe next week and I decided to stop all liquid ferts as I think there is enough nutirents in the water from the sub leeching out. Report
March 19, 201313 yr comment_522912 Just be patient dude, saying that it's probably not going to help with the fluctuating co2 levels, I would be trying to get it going again asap. Report
March 19, 201313 yr comment_522915 What sort of algae is it? If I were you, I'd thoroughly clean all the sides, remove as much as you can from the plants and decor as possible then do a 50-75% water change. Reduce lighting hours down to 4-6hrs at most. Report
March 19, 201313 yr Author comment_522916 Just be patient dude, saying that it's probably not going to help with the fluctuating co2 levels, I would be trying to get it going again asap. Will be doing that in a couple weeks, Gunna buy a diffuser and drop checker this week fingers crossed and then sort out the bottle the week after What sort of algae is it? If I were you, I'd thoroughly clean all the sides, remove as much as you can from the plants and decor as possible then do a 50-75% water change. Reduce lighting hours down to 4-6hrs at most. Its BBA I think, and a bit of that green stuff you can see on the filter in one of the pics. How do you propose removing it from the plants? snip snip?? problem with doing a big w/c is that I havnt yet done one that doesnt throw substract everywere, reclogging filtration what I suspect as throwing nutrents everywhere. last time I tryed a syphon and good golly gosh was my bucket filled with muck junk from the sub Report
March 19, 201313 yr comment_522917 Spot treating BBA with Excel is the bees knees apparently, never tried it myself though. Green stringy algae can be wrapped around a chopstick quite easily. Just be patient when refilling, slow hose onto a dish if needed. Report
March 19, 201313 yr Author comment_522919 Tank is to small to use a hose, will try the plate next W/C/ thanks With excel just being a co2 suppliment, will pumping a heap of c02 into the tank do the same thing? Report
March 19, 201313 yr comment_522920 Not really, excel has some magic ingredient which seems to kill certain types of algae. BBA usually happens because of fluctuating co2 levels caused by many things including water changes as usually tap water has quite a high level of dissolved co2 present in it. Some people including Tom Barr recommend not doing a water change that often even as low as once a month if you have problems with algae. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.