Red plants that hold colour in low tech -

Dachende

Hi all

Quick question : What red coloured aquatic plants hold their colour in low tech-ish conditions ?

I'm running about 3WPG and dose flourish / excel

Looking to add a bit of colour to my tank to break up all the greens in there.

I've bought some Rotala Wallichii but it doesn't hold much red at all , mainly green with a red hue.

The guy who sold it to me said it would do just as well without Co2 and super high light. It grows pretty fast , but just won't colour up how I would like.

The guy who sold it to me said it would do just as well without Co2 and super high light. It grows pretty fast , but just won't colour up how I would like.
Well there's your problem, of course a seller just wants to sell their product. You need high light and good nutrients to grow red plants, it's that simple.

3WPG isn't enough ?

Forget WPG, light depends more on the depth of the water than it does the total volume. For example, say there's 90W of light on a 30cm deep 30gal tank and 90W of light on a 60cm deep 30gal tank. The light at the bottom of the 30cm deep tank will be MUCH stronger than the 60cm deep tank. Also, I get far more light out of my 2x 24W T5HO tubes than I could ever get out of a 100W incandescent bulb. The formula for lighting is far too complex to be simplified into watts per gallon, you have to look at it on a tank by tank basis.

Forget WPG, light depends more on the depth of the water than it does the total volume. For example, say there's 90W of light on a 30cm deep 30gal tank and 90W of light on a 60cm deep 30gal tank. The light at the bottom of the 30cm deep tank will be MUCH stronger than the 60cm deep tank. Also, I get far more light out of my 2x 24W T5HO tubes than I could ever get out of a 100W incandescent bulb. The formula for lighting is far too complex to be simplified into watts per gallon, you have to look at it on a tank by tank basis.

+1

Power saving bulbs use less Watts by reducing heat and providing more light. Watts are not a measurement of light.

My tank is 450mm deep with a 20-30mm sand/daltons bed.

I have 6 36w T5HO bulbs.

I dose with flourish and excel.

The tank is overfiltered and understocked.

The tank has been going for around 8 months now.

I'm 31, pisces, and self employed.

My shoe size is 12. :sml1:

Any other details I can give you ?

Thanks Dennis, I'll look into Rotala Rotundifolia.

In my experience Rotala Wallichii is one of the more demanding red plants. There is a "redish" variety of Rotala rotundifolia around and also one of the easiest red plants would be Alternanthera reineckii roseafolia which I think is often sold as red hygrophila (a complete misnoma). They will all get redder with high iron and good light of course.

Chances of getting anymore relevant answers to the original question ?

An answer to original question:

I have Rotala Rotundifolia which has kept its red colour quite well. Even when the amount of light has been significantly reduced.

Dennis answered you a while ago.