Hello from Milton.

steve0

Hey guys,

Having just joined this site I thought I'd just say hello in here. A little about me is my name is Steve and I live Milton, Otago. I work for a construction company (Calder Stewart) as an x Steeler (steel draughtsman)

I'm not an fish owner as yet, but have been interested in doing it for a while now. A work mate has just giving me a 250l tank to try it out for 3 months or so to see what its like. I have to say it seems like hard work just choosing which fish I like the look of and which go together.

I'm a little upset pygmy puffer fish are nasty little things to other species. &c:ry

Regards,

Steve

yeah, dwarf puffers are best in a mini system anyway or you tend to not see them.

enjoy and have fun :wave:

any ideas on what sort of tank you want to start with, we may be able to help with fish compatibility

To be honest Im still looking at ideas, But I seem to like the more bare looking tanks to the fully planted ones. as In a sandy bottom, rocks and drift wood with what i guess is some sort of moss or something. Not saying I don't like your guys planted tanks, i just dont want to get into to much plants at the moment.

I'm defiently going to be starting with freshwater but from there the world is my oyster, so to say. I do want a group of some sort of schooling fish.

I also have been giving a 50 litre tank maybe that could be a puffer tank :P But I'm not sure how well the girlfriend would take to me starting two tanks at this time.

Also Im looking at buying a FX5 filter for this tank It maybe a little over kill for this tank (?) but I always have a problem with trying to future prove. Does this seem like a good idea?

Sorry to go on, but nice to meet you guys.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I passed a sign that pointed to Milton yesterday! We had been around the Taiere(?) Heads and all around the back country on our way to the Station Restaurant at Mosgiel. Best meal there I have had in a long time!!

Just about had it, its Taieri :)

I have never had a meal there but have heard of plenty of good things about it.

Anyway a bit of an update I was giving another 50 litre tank with heater and filter and all when this girl was moving away. It also came with two fish which I struggle to see how they survived in the mess they were in.

She only added water when the old water evaporated. It got so low I was told that the angel fish had to swim sideways! Crazy! I like to think I saved them a little bit. But it is all a learning curve for me and I don't even know exactly what fish I even have I know one is an angel fish and the other is some sort of sucker fish.

But I'm still hoping to get parts together to get my 250 litre up and running to give them more room to play :thup:

well done with the save, I bet that that person will tell people that fish keeping is too hard.

post some pics and we will be happy to ID them for you. you'll be needding bigger tank anyway as 50L is way too small even for just the angel let alone what ever sort of sucker you have there (the common ones will grow anywhere from 15cm to 45cm)

Hi again, here is a couple of links to the two fish. The sucker is hard to get a pic of.

http://db.tt/5Q80EDnM

http://db.tt/OlQ9l2ec

Sorry I would of direct linked the picture instead of using drop box but photo bucket won't let me copy links while using my phone :(

Do they look small for there age just over 2 years old she reckons?