Redundant parts?

Dana

When I started this tank, a rather intelligent person on this forum suggested I purchase a spare heater. I have a 215ltr and am running a 300.

I say rather intelligent as I would have kissed their feet tonight, as I noticed my boys weren't eating. Checked, ICE cold water. Spare heater installed, all fine in under 20 mins, boys currently chowing down. It was fine earlier when I did the tests after a water change today, and am always careful to let the heather cool and off before water change, not to knock it around, keep it away from surfaces, and have it close to the filter outlet. It hasn't kicked back in since then obviously

So, 2 questions:

1/ Is it best to run 2 heaters concurrently, thermostat knocking each other out when necessary, and avoiding tonight's mishap. Or do some of you just hold a spare?

2/ What other redundant parts do you hold that tend to fail and require urgent attention?

A tad annoyed. Was an aqua one brand (feel free to advise of better) but I didn't keep the receipt. less than 3 months old.

I have had trouble reacently with this brand and am bringing it up with the rep next week

I would suggest going for the computer controlled types such as the Aqua one advance, Jager etc... as they are less likely to fail due to faulty metal strip thermostats.

I also like to keep a spare plastic tank and an air pump (battery operated one) for emergencies

I take it you didn't register online for the 3 year warranty?

Heaters are the things that fail the most in my experience so I keep a few spare.

If you're going to be home everyday, I'd use just the one heater. I check the temperatures each day to make sure the heaters are working.

If you're going to be leaving the tank in someone else's care, I'd use two.

I've found the Eheim Jager heaters to be brilliant... consistent temps. I tried out the cheap Blue Planet brand on a hospital tank. It was okay...but for my main tank I wouldn't use a cheap brand.

As for other spare parts, maybe some spares for a filter (such as impeller)? In saying that, I don't bother...we have a good fish store very near by.

get a jager heater, they keep the temp really close to what you set and if they fail they shut off. Generally on cheaper heaters the fault is they don't turn off.

I got into the habit of touching the glass when i feed the fish to make sure it isn't cold, that's a better option than having an extra heater in the tank i think for cost and visual effects.

only lost Aqua one ones, got a 30-40 year old Reliant heater, made in NZ sitting in my breeding tank atm, stil perfect and only +/- 1 degree (looks brand new even though its been used most of the time)

and also know of a old jager thats still going strong after 15 years in a commercial breeding tank

After setting my tank up again after it was lying dormant for a few years, my jager heater took it to over 30deg before i noticed. Thankfully only a pair of unhappy guppys were in the tank at the time. I replaced it thinking it was useless, but now im using it in another tank and its working fine... something might have got stuck or something? 1st time i had a heater play up on me.