Itunes/Imac Help!

danilada

Ok, so recently I have purchased a MacBook Pro (previous had windows). I have a western digital hard drive that holds EVERY-THING and I have had to configure (I believe) the hard drive so I could use it on the Mac. In the process I lost all my photos (that's another problem) however I had about 10,000 songs on my hard drive and they have been wiped (back up some-how didn't work have downloaded some programme's to try remedy this) BUT all my songs are on itunes and play. However I can not locate the song files on my Mac.

My question is, does some-one know how I can save the songs back onto the hard drive as I use a hard drive as a master copy of every-thing? Hope that makes sense.

Heaps of people seem to have this happen to them, the problem is mac os doesn't recognize NTFS file system, and when you plug your external HD into it it formats it into fat-32 file system. There is a few programs out there that can recover the photos/files etc but they're built for tech-savvy people and still probably wouldn't be able to recover them all if the HD has been re-formatted properly.

photorec will recover most files even after a format, as long as it isn't a windows 'full format'

It's not too hard to use but you have to follow the instructions, dont know if there is a mac version but there should be as there are linux/unix versions

Edit:

PhotoRec runs under

DOS/Win9x

Windows NT 4/2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008/7

Linux

FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD

Sun Solaris

Mac OS X

and can be compiled on almost every Unix system.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

To find where your music is on your Mac from Finder press F and in the search box type in the name of one of your songs - make it something that is not too common or you will get a lot of partial returns, if it shows in the search results click on it once and it will show you the path at the bottom of the window. This works in Leopard and Snow, but I do not have Lion so cannot tell you if it is still the case for that OS.

now now Fishguy, play nice.

IMO, he's right, Mac's are all about marketing and very little product. The ONE THING I will give to macs is that they have superior access to editing software.

Format is not configure. Format is wipe everything. I would have thought it would have come up with a warning? "This will erase everything on the disk and cannot be undone"? A master copy should never be formatted.

I learnt about formatting harddrives when I was intermediate and wiped my Mum's business harddrive clean. Don't worry, you'll learn fast.

I believe if you have transferred everything to itunes, then check your itunes. If they still play, you may have them stored on the Mac. If they don't play, and come up with a little x or !, then they are merely shortcuts to your HDD and the files are gone. Best to try a recovery program, but low quality recovery programs could destroy any chance of getting your files back, or may get you partials (some images with big grey squares where people used to be).

Best of luck.

In iTunes Mac you need to right click the title of the song and select 'Get Info' the file location shows at the bottom of the first window.

Generally by default iTunes stores music in the following location: /Users/(your username)/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music

On windows in iTunes you can right click on a track and select "Open File Location" and it will open an exporer window and show you where on the filesystem the audio file resides... surely there is a similar function on the mac version?

In iTunes Mac you need to right click the title of the song and select 'Get Info' the file location shows at the bottom of the first window.

Generally by default iTunes stores music in the following location: /Users/(your username)/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music

Yes this is exactly what I needed, so my songs were saved on to my mac. :thup:

now now Fishguy, play nice.

IMO, he's right, Mac's are all about marketing and very little product. The ONE THING I will give to macs is that they have superior access to editing software.

Format is not configure. Format is wipe everything. I would have thought it would have come up with a warning? "This will erase everything on the disk and cannot be undone"? A master copy should never be formatted.

I learnt about formatting harddrives when I was intermediate and wiped my Mum's business harddrive clean. Don't worry, you'll learn fast.

I believe if you have transferred everything to itunes, then check your itunes. If they still play, you may have them stored on the Mac. If they don't play, and come up with a little x or !, then they are merely shortcuts to your HDD and the files are gone. Best to try a recovery program, but low quality recovery programs could destroy any chance of getting your files back, or may get you partials (some images with big grey squares where people used to be).

Best of luck.

The reason we got the mac was because we have iphones/ipads we wanted to be able to sync them all etc, as long as it has word and safari I am happy. I have learnt about formatting - the hard way. Problem is with six years worth of photos I am kicking myself for it. I saved every-thing that was on the hard drive to the computer because it warned me that it might wipe every-thing. The hard drive would let me take stuff off but needed to be formatted with the mac so I could put stuff on it. However during the copy process my songs and most photos disappeared and then I wiped the hard drive. Have tried a few downloads to recover them but nothing has worked or even found what I am looking for.

If she just reformatted the volume to Fat32 or MacOS2 the data should still be recoverable providing she has not overwritten it, Disk Utility also has security erase options - Zero erase and 7 and 35 pass erase, if she selected any of these the data would be hard to recover in the first instance and probably not be recoverable for the last two.