whiptail cats

camtang

i sore my first whip tail catfish in the flesh today.i dont know if it was a whiptail after looking at google pics i have seen.it looked more like a pitbull plec (again i havent seen on in the flesh before) how many diffrent varieties of whiptails are there in NZ? they are cool fish well what i sore today was and i may consider getting some. what are peoples experinces with them?

It's good to get pick on. That way you can learn to spell it right next time.

To me that's another way to learn :thup:

I wouldnt say it was good to be picked on. But if you can handle it, its fine otherwise someone mite end up like Gracie.

I also cant see me spelling it rite next time as I dont even know how I spelt it wrong, but if someone was to inform me on how I spelt it wrong then maybe next time I might not spell it incorrectly

Wasn't this thread about catfish or something?

There are several different "whiptails" here, some get bigger than others so make sure you know what you're getting!

sm4.jpg

20cm+ not countin the tail extensions, which take it closer to 30cm...

are the different variets of whip tails easy to tell? im only setting up a small 2 foot tank so I will have to do some good quailty research

How easy it is depends on how educated you are on the subject ;)

The "royals" usually get bigger, but the ones offered as "red whiptails" stay a bit smaller, around 10cm IIRC, and I think the panda ones P44 was talking about are smaller growing too. Planetcatfish.com cat-e-log is your best friend...

Royals also tend to be a touch more delicate and need a mature system to really thrive (im sure someone will tell me im wrong though)

one of my Fav's is the rino whiptail (Rineloricara parva) doesn't get too big, breeds reasonably easily, and has a cute habit of motoring round on its front fins kinda like a tripod.