Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bristle Nose Catfish

Featured Replies

I have three Bristle-nose Catfish, that i have had for about 1 to 1-1/2 yrs, im pretty sure two are males and one is female, we now have four baby bristle-nose that are now about four months old, the two Older males have off recent started fighting,, have we got to many bristle-nose in our tank,, should we try and get rid of the babies,, Tank is 160 Litre. We have also five tetras, three loaches, one rainbow, three dwarf G also. Thanks in Advance..Cheers I have No idea :facepalm:

I had about 300 one year old bristlenose in a smaller tank for a while. You won't be doing water changes like I was, but no you don't have too many bristlenose.

If you add more caves you will have less fighting, but soon you will have many more bristlenose :rotf:

I find that loaches are usually the best form of contraception for bristlenose.

If you take out all the caves, but still have plenty of hiding spots, then the fighting will also stop.

In other words remove the need to protect a territory, by either removing the territory or providing more territories than fish.

Cheers

I have three Bristle-nose Catfish, that i have had for about 1 to 1-1/2 yrs, im pretty sure two are males and one is female, we now have four baby bristle-nose that are now about four months old, the two Older males have off recent started fighting,, have we got to many bristle-nose in our tank,, should we try and get rid of the babies,, Tank is 160 Litre. We have also five tetras, three loaches, one rainbow, three dwarf G also. Thanks in Advance..Cheers I have No idea :facepalm:

I had about 500 in a 100 liter tank and currently (Last time I could count them) about 25-30 in a 450. I don't think you're overcrowding them too much.

And the males almost never hurt each other, they're not really even fighting. They'll be more posturing. Puff out their cheek spikes and try to push the other guy around.

my one lost an eye due to a fight, other than that and a few torn fins, nothing much happened, but the other fish got a bit stressed by the fighting. IMO if you can ( and bring yourself to) I would remove one male just to remove any possibility of trouble

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.