Advice please - Leopard cactus L114

Duncan7

Been thinking of grabbing one/two for a little while, think they are awesome, have been doing my research, but looking here for individuals thoughts/experiences.

Have the opportunity to buy a couple of 6-7 inch long L144's. They have not been kept together. I have read that they are an aggressive territorial pleco, but have read other people say that they are not that bad?

I have a 650liter tank 180cmx60cmx60cm sumped and with an FX5 stocked with large SA cichlids jags, Red devil, JD etc, a red spot and a gold spot pleco, couple of sun catfish. Have 3 good sized bits of driftwood, and have large ceramic pipes (old drain pipes, 5 inch diameter) i can put in too.

Id like to get more than one L144 if posible, but is it worth the risk? Im prepared to let the common plecos go if that would be best.

Not really worried about breeding them, have read its possible, but im not really that experienced with plecos...

Anyway.. Peoples thoughts? Could i get more than one?

TIA Duncan.

I have only had one but they have never shown any unusual aggression to any other plecos.

they are very active generally and is the first to feed out of all the plecos i had.

i dont see 2 to be a problem so long as there are hiding spots for each if they both end up males

They are a great fish and one of my favourites. I'd say go for it. Two in a tank that size should be fine and at 6-7" they should be sexable. The males are stroppy and will often scrap and the females also scrap a little and jossle for dominance. In saying that they dont seem to do any serious damage to each other and once any dominance issues are sorted out they are better behaved. Just make sure there are plenty of places to hide/sulk if they need to. Although they are mainly carnivorous, mine are partial to a few algae wafers as well.

hi dude, go for it nice and hardy fish. I still have one in my tank. he/she is approx 15cm with nice golden trim on fins. he/she is a bit aggressive toward to my large red spot pleco (25cm) but getting along well with my little gold nugget (only 10cm) hard to judge. even if say he is aggressive, just about stirring the sand up, or whipping others by tail.

As Long as they get there own space they should be fine. My big royal has decided to move in next to my Cactus and they are now always butting heads through this tiny gap betwwen their caves. I think it is more the Royal than the Cactus though. If you are getting 2 I would make sure you create two seperate territories, perhaps at each end, as if they decided to fight they can do alot of damage. This can happen during feeding time, so watch to make sure they are both actually getting enough food.

Like Henward said they are carnivorous and should be fed accordingly, with the odd algae wafer.

Overall a fantastic pleco, great to look at and if your lucky (like Henward) it will be an active one during feeding.

Thanks guys I think they are great plecs, love the colour and the eventual size of them. Definately going to get one, maybe two still deciding, will try not to get two males if i go the latter. Given that i probably cant grab them out of the tank to really look at head/body shape are the pectoral odontodes probably the best bet for sexing?

I see their carnivorous nature as a plus in my tank as there is always lots of hikari sinking gold going in for the two delhezis and the sun cats after lights out. So they should be right as rain.

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/d713xvWjqhU&hl=en& WOW! Nice, looks like a pretty large tank!

I've posted this before but it shows a male and two females. Males have a broad block head and a more tapered profile, while females have a more pointed snout and are widest through their belly which is often quite fat. At the size you're looking at you should be able to sex them easily enough. With a tank of that size two males should be fine, particularly as jamosfish suggests if they have distinct defined territories.

2808807630100841066S500x500Q85.jpg

Cheers man, grabbed two, slightly smaller than i initially may have mentioned well closer to 6' than 7', but still a good size, took the ones with the IMO best colour, did take a couple of pics of them before i released them, they spent the night in the same area of the tank as eachother, no agro at all. Apparently they were in the same tank before they went to the pet shop. There were 4 living together.. Although two different sales people said different things. One said separate, one said together... Who knows, but they seem sweet together.

Love them, Hooked! Will get the pics up soon.

I've posted this before but it shows a male and two females. Males have a broad block head and a more tapered profile, while females have a more pointed snout and are widest through their belly which is often quite fat. At the size you're looking at you should be able to sex them easily enough. With a tank of that size two males should be fine, particularly as jamosfish suggests if they have distinct defined territories.

2808807630100841066S500x500Q85.jpg

still hard to tell the differences. is that just broader/fatter body?

And the shape of the nose, very slight differences, male rounder nose ?broader head and more slender body, female pointier nose, smaller head width and fuller/fatter body.

To anyone interested there are still two more of these fish at world of water in hamilton, same size 6-7' in size and only $80. If you get them id be interested in keeping in touch to track their progress... ?possible breeding project...

And the shape of the nose, very slight differences, male rounder nose ?broader head and more slender body, female pointier nose, smaller head width and fuller/fatter body.

Yep you're bang on with the sex differences Duncan. The males also seems to have bigger and thicker spikes down the body and I think a larger dorsal and caudal fins. It'd be nice to see some pics of your new ones. $80 is very cheap and at that price they should be snapped up quick.

Very nice leopards Duncan with great patterning and a very good deal at $80 each. They look like they still have a bit of growing to do but I'd guess at two females. The head looks tapered and the snout pointed and they dont seem to have a block head. However they also dont look like they have very swollen bellies.

Very nice leopards Duncan with great patterning and a very good deal at $80 each. They look like they still have a bit of growing to do but I'd guess at two females. The head looks tapered and the snout pointed and they dont seem to have a block head. However they also dont look like they have very swollen bellies.

Thanks, yeah thats kinda what i thought aswell, i thought the noses looked female, but im very new to this! They had been in the fish shop for a couple of weeks, bright lights, small 2' tank each, without much cover, thinking they may not have eaten and possibly lost a bit of condition.