February 25, 200521 yr comment_40645 I got 7 convicts last Sunday and four of them have paired up already, both pairs have staked out territory and I know one of them have definately layed eggs (see attached pic) and I can't really see if the other pair has or not because they've chosen a really inacessable place. How will I know if the eggs are fertile or not? Will the babies be ok eating Liquifry? Report
February 25, 200521 yr Author comment_40671 Now some of them have turned white and some of them have stayed clear. I'm assuming that the white ones are the fertile ones, am I right? Report
February 25, 200521 yr comment_40674 I think you will find the white ones have fungused and are no good, at least that is the way with angels, and the parents should remove, if not they will cause the rest to fungus aswell. Steve Report
February 25, 200521 yr Author comment_40675 can anyone else confirm that? The parents haven't eaten any of the white ones, I've found this pic on the net - this is pretty much how they look Report
February 25, 200521 yr comment_40676 yes ball is bang on the money , some times mum and dad do no eat the white wons thou this could kill the rest of the spawn but dont worry your prisoners will breed again soon if this happens. Report
February 26, 200521 yr comment_40677 mine laid in a little cave in the tank, till they over excavated( need to sure up trenches in sand) thought they might have lost them all, i now have about 200 baby convicts to feed, the eggs looked the same as the ones in the pic,feeding them ox heart and brine shrimp, hungry gutted little buggers :lol: Report
March 3, 200521 yr Author comment_41046 They ended up eating the babies. The next day I came home and saw my Angels had spawned. "Cool" I said and then, in front of me, they ate all of their eggs too. Report
March 10, 200521 yr Author comment_41839 The Angels spawned again two days ago and they ate their eggs again yesterday, next time I'm gonna put the eggs in a breeding trap heh. The convicts spawned yesterday, with a lot more eggs this time and what's best is that they haven't eaten them yet! Here's hoping. Report
March 13, 200521 yr Author comment_42019 I ended up putting a few of the convict eggs in another tank in a breeding trap. This tank's about 1 degree warmer than the convict's tank and so the eggs I've put in there have started hatching Here're some pics of the wrigglers (they really just look like eggs with tails lol) The eggs in the convict's tank seem to be doing fine as well, they should start hatching some time today hopefully. Report
March 13, 200521 yr Author comment_42030 Heh thanks Phillz. I think the eggs in with the parents have started to hatch (they're at the back of the tank so I can't be too sure). I put a flower pot in there a few hours ago and the parents have checked it out and are now in the process of moving the eggs/babies in there, with their mouths! Awesome to watch. Report
March 13, 200521 yr Author comment_42036 I was just moving the breeding trap around and it turns out they can fit in the little holes in the sides! I've got about 7 left in the trap, my angels ate the rest the moment they came out :-? Report
March 14, 200521 yr comment_42156 Angelfish can suck fry through very small holes!!! :lol: Yep I can back that up sadly. Report
March 15, 200521 yr Author comment_42315 The fry seem to be doing well. In the same tank a pair of my Jewels have spawned now too Report
March 15, 200521 yr comment_42365 Heh... speaking of convict fry... I just randomly found one still alive in my main tank (with convicts/oscars).. he's huge! - easily twice as big as the other fry in their seperate tank... I'm more than impressed that he survived.. he'll be a tough cookie I get the feeling I'm a bit under-generous with the other fry though.. might have to feed them more often (as much as they seem happy as) Report
March 16, 200521 yr Author comment_42422 I just took the convict wrigllers and some of the jewel eggs and put them into a dedicated fry tank. It was so sad to watch the convicts search around for their babies Report
March 18, 200521 yr Author comment_42893 As it turns out they still have TONS of babies in the tank with them. Another pair of convicts in the tank have spawned as well and they have a cloud of babies hovering around too Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.