Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

how much to pump

Featured Replies

hey guys im looking at getting a 4'x2'x2' tank around 440 ltrs with a trickle filter, what size pump should i look at getting for the sump? how many ltrs per hour? can any one recommend a good brand? its for fresh water.

Hi beachy! I would recommend you to get an Eheim 2226 model, it pumps 350 L an hour. Other wise you can get your hands on a fluval canister filter. We have a 450 L tank and it is getting filtered by the 2226 Eheim no sweat. Or you can shoot for the moon and get a 2228 Eheim, 600 L an hour. Well hope this helps...others may have different opinion.

Cheers Dan

I have a jebo 815 which pumps just on a 1000ltrs an hour and I have found it very good, you will save a few dollars with a jebo compared to a eheim or fluvl aswell. I know there are people out there who swear by the eheim's and fluval's and am just giving my opinion on this.

I don't know what you're intending to keep in it, but a 350lph filter would be FAR too small. I think you'd want a minimum of around 2000LPH. But, you're not asking about filters. You're wanting a return pump from your sump, right?

If you're going for really dirty fish or for very heavy stocking you'll want something really serious. You could send Dogmatix a PM, see if he's still got that UP6 for I think it was $180ish. That will give you somewhere around 4000-5000 LPH if your overflow and everything can handle it.:) Otherwise there are a lot of smaller pond pumps that should work well. Something like a Powerjet 2000 would get you about a 2000LPH turnover which would be a nice comfortable amount.

I have a marine about the same size and use a eheim 1060 (2250lph(?))as a sump return, works well. They come up second hand often usually for a round $100. Or if you want new/cheap theres a guy on trademe selling resun king 4's pond pumps for around $100 or less, I have used one, they are okay but you get what you pay for.

  • Author

Thanks guys, yes it is a return pump for a sump so 2000 ltrs per hour sounds good cause i will be keeping larger fish, thanks for the info guys i will go check out some of the brands recomended, cheers.

Sump? In a freshwater tank? I thought that was a redundant concept... Or is it just for people that want a challenge?? :lol:

It's no more redundant than it is in a marine tank. Serves all the same purposes. Hide all the equipment out of the tank, etc. You could even set up a refugium with some plants and stuff for the FW. It's not conceptually any different. I've wanted to do that with my cichlid tank, have a sump with a bunch of lights on it full of plants, maybe even try and grow daphnia in there too.

A sump is a great idea for fresh or saltwater. As well as what IRA has said about being a good place to hide equipment etc any system that inreases your water volume is going to have a positive effect on the health of the tank.

Pies

We are in the process of getting quotes for a 6ft ply tank with glass front using our old 4ft for a sump underneath. Pics and article will be done :wink:

The increased water volume appeals as does having somewhere to put a sick or harassed fish while it recovers.

Having somewhere to put all the gear doesn't hurt either and all that extra filtration can only be a plus.

Hi Beachy, Just incase you missed it I posted a similar question last week...

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?t=5483

I was looking at maybe 1200-1500 lph (for a 500L+ tank), but when you read Warrens post you might even consider more. With my 2nd hand setup I got a DIY barrel filter and also a really nice glass biological filter. I didnt think i would find any use for either of them, prefering the canister filters. But to buy 2000 lph of "off the shelf" canister filters i would have to re-mortgage my house!!!

HTH :)

John

I had a Rseun King 4 in my sump for my 7.6ft (plus one other pump can't remember what kind) and in the 6 months I used it, it went through 2 impellors and was rather noisy. Don't use it anymore one day it just decided it didn't want to go. Now I have a ViaAqua3600 which I got for about the same price ($130 brand new) and I find it so much quieter, its great.

  • Author

thanks northland chic i was gonna look at getting one of those but il steer clear, cheers, i would rather not have something to noisy as it will be in my lounge.

Ehiem. Last for ever, very quiet. PM JetSkiSteve he has some 2nd hand ones if you want to save some $.

Pie

RIO pumps have a bad reputation from what I have seen, no experance with them myself but have been warned of them by others.

Pie

RIO pumps have a bad reputation from what I have seen, no experance with them myself but have been warned of them by others.

Pie

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.