Hi from chch, shortly dunedin

catfish_dude

Hi everyone,

I am technically not new here, but since I haven’t been for 4+ years I think posting here is warranted.

I am a Masters geology student who is moving to Dunedin in a few months to start my thesis research at Otago. Unfortunately due to some staff retirements, staff moving elsewhere and no staff with expertise in what I am interested in, I have had to pull out of Canterbury Uni and relocate elsewhere.

As for fish...when the Feb earthquake hit my main tank unfortunately got shaken off the secured base and toppled over onto the floor – was a complete mess with glass, gravel and fish everywhere. Thankfully I was home so could rescue them and only a few fish in my other (non-harmed) tank died - I’m guessing because they got too cold with no heating. Now I have a 3ft tank at my parent’s house with a Synodontis schoutedeni (yellow marble syno), Striped Raphael catfish, and a featherfin syno. In a 2ft tank I have a mix of tetras and a banjo catfish.

I looked up this site as I know about a grand total of 4 people in Dunedin so am looking to meet new people, and I want to have a little planted tank (30L?) in my room when I find a place to live. And yes I will join the Dunedin club :)

I am especially interested in hearing from anyone who lives in the Catlins region as that is where my field research will begin, but I know that is unlikely due to the population there. If you are an Otago student also please get in touch with me.

I think that is all the bases covered :thup:

• 4 weeks later...