What is this NZ estuary fish?

Stella

I found this while spotlighting in an estuary near Cape Reinga this week

Looks like some kind of benthic lie-and-wait predator.

2012-08-03Tapotupotuestuary7Small.jpg

2012-08-03Tapotupotuestuary3Small.jpg

2012-08-03Tapotupotuestuary5Small.jpg

They were very fast, and inclined to dash off in directions that my freshwater natives don't usually dash off in. Took a while to catch one!

what else did you find?

Not heard much on the spotlighting front from you even though you have all the time in the world atm :digH:

I humbly beg for forgiveness :oops:

At the estuary I also saw some small shortfins, little mullet and something wrassy.

To be honest the weather and/or campsite has not been conducive to spotlighting.

HOWEVER I also have some really good common bully photos to upload from last night's spotlighting, and Mon/Tues/Wed I will be going out mudfishing with Northland's native fish guru! :happy1: Have also been researching lots and getting bits written on my book. Do you want updates or do you want book? ;)

just to freak you out and make you never wade barefoot again,

this is what it looks like when its on the bottom waiting for a feed

:o OMG so glad I was fishing from a nice safe boardwalk! Admittedly I touched it as little as possible for fear of poison spines or something nasty.

(people wade barefoot?! Water here is COLD!)

nah they ok, when you feel something wriggle under your feet in the surf, most ppl think they are flounder but more likely they are these guys. a 20cm one would do some nice fillets tho. to scare you even more, they do travel upriver and can sometimes be found in freshwater