What should be in my aquarium first aid kit?

Shoppers

So far, all I have is the ability to do high percentage water changes daily.

What should I have at home to fight the most common fishy illness's? Are there some basic things I should be stocked up on?

Cheers

Steve

Hose. Water.

Anything that you need a 12g to fight off can have the fish.

Where's the dedication, Ira! :slfg:

As above, Water-changes are the best thing ever for most problems, and frequent small changes are the best thing you can do for your tank to prevent disease and keep healthiest fish... though not always practical...

And tonic salt, a natural solution to most mild infections, and some parasites...

Scrubbing a tank with a salt paste is a good way to sanitise without "chemicals"... :thup:

i do a 30% change weeky with a gravel siphon. Would a straight 30% water change once or twice a week be a good idea? Pretty sure I know the answer already

Back up heater is sorted, will get a battery powered air pump.

Is under tonic a brand name? Is it something you give the fish regularly or wait until you see signs of distress?

Cheers

Steve

Fish have 100% water changes every second in a river .. so the more the merrier. But can you keep it up?

Wunder tonic is a general antifungal agent that is used when you diagnose fungus. It doesn't have an antibiotic in it so although recommended for fin rot, you might also need Furan 2.

Fish don't get a 100% water change all the time in a river because there are also fish upstream. What I meant was that wunder tonic is not a magic med but is useful for treating quite a few ailments other than fungus (such as whitespot, velvet etc). Myself I prefer to use a specific med for a specific problem. "Use the least amount of the least toxic med that will do the job properly." I agree that with discuss there are meds in addition that would be useful. Perhaps one of the discus experts such as discusguru might let us know what would be best for what.

The question was what should be in a first aid kit ... so something to tide you over until you can get to a LFS the next day or so. If your fish have different and specific requirements, you'll need a fish specific first aid kit :)

Not sure what you can do about a power failure on a cold winter's day/night ... how would one try to keep the temperature up? Boil tank water on a wood stove? Wrap blankets around the tank?

With most problems with fish, the sooner you get on to it with the correct med the better so you will find that importers and serious fish breeders will have a pretty good first aid kit ready to go (and usually with many meds you will not get from a pet shop such as antibiotics and treatments for parasites). Meds in powder, tablet or capsules are usually stable for many years. Tablets and capsules are the best because the amounts are known and make dosing easier.

which gets me to thinking, does any1 know of a vet that can get me metronidazole? the vets round here are a bit stingy when it comes to prescriptions without a house visit and that gets a bit ridiculous money. (have a friend with a Hexamita infestation an a brand new pair of discus (one fish dead already other in quarantine probably will stay carrier))

kewl, do us backwards NZer use it for humans still???

I heard that it had too many potential side effects so was a last resort only for humans(well almost last, there is also di-metronidazole) one Vet got dodgy and accused me of trying to self prescribe of human parasites, woulda come back with a killer comment, but couldn't stop laughing at the guys accent