nitrite nitrate spike

clubbing80s

In my opinion you would be better off not getting the sunsun and just saving your money up abit more and look at getting either a fluvel or eheim branded canister, I have heard bad things about the sunsun brand.

Also with the fish you currently keep in the 300ltr planting it out will not really work in my experience, not sure about the silver dollars but both oscars and plecos don't mix well with a planted aquarium unless you have more patience and time then Mother Theresa.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion you would be better off not getting the sunsun and just saving your money up abit more and look at getting either a fluvel or eheim branded canister, I have heard bad things about the sunsun brand.

Also with the fish you currently keep in the 300ltr planting it out will not really work in my experience, not sure about the silver dollars but both oscars and plecos don't mix well with a planted aquarium unless you have more patience and time then Mother Theresa.

So far the 2 small Amazon swards have been ignored , but another plant I put in had all the leaves stripped of the stem lmao .. And the pleco ate some floating plants I put in the tank, as an experiment to see if they would eat them ;-) .. Once is a while fresh plants should be good for them ;-)

Thanks for the advise.

http://www.janrigter.nl/mattenfilter/

This is a bit more expensive than the $9 filter I pointed to before. Likoma on here sells the foam to create the filter. At $50 it's a lot cheaper than buying another canister filter, and will last for years without maintenance. Keep your existing classic filter for mechanical filtration.

And if you want, you can put some plants behind it to create a refugium where the fishes can't get at it.

I have heard bad things about the sunsun brand.

Really? I've heard only good things about Sunsun filters. I have the HW-302 running on my 200L tank and it does well, really easy to use and it primes well.

It seems to me that some people become clean fanatics and are forever cleaning the filters. They are designed to work best when loaded up with the detritus they collect. You only need to clean the filter enough to restore the flow and this could be limited to cleaning the input hose or the sponge on top of the media, but it only needs doing when the flow is quite reduced. Have you ever seen your council workers doing a water change in the sewage works? They clean the prefilter when it gets obstructed.

boxturtle on TM is one guy selling sunsun products, and he claims to carry spares.

Otherwise one could attach a power head to the inlet in the tank to use it. I would guess it doesn't make that much difference where the pump is along the path.

It seems to me that some people become clean fanatics and are forever cleaning the filters. They are designed to work best when loaded up with the detritus they collect. You only need to clean the filter enough to restore the flow and this could be limited to cleaning the input hose or the sponge on top of the media, but it only needs doing when the flow is quite reduced. Have you ever seen your council workers doing a water change in the sewage works? They clean the prefilter when it gets obstructed.

Would help if the ppl selling you these items gave the correct advise in the first place. I was advised to do maintenance with the water changes and replace the filter pads every 1 -2 months .. I know better now .

Would help if the ppl selling you these items gave the correct advise in the first place. I was advised to do maintenance with the water changes and replace the filter pads every 1 -2 months .. I know better now .

They do that to sell more product!

lol im sure I can guess what store you went to :P

my only experience iswith sun sun is with the pumps and every second one came back within 3 months for replacement impellers, they seem to have very soft metal shafts in the models I dealt with.

lol im sure I can guess what store you went to :P

my only experience iswith sun sun is with the pumps and every second one came back within 3 months for replacement impellers, they seem to have very soft metal shafts in the models I dealt with.

Think I'm going with the Hamburg Mattenfilter, I have managed to get foam here from work for free :-) . I don't have time for stuff that breaks.

Actually there is a significant difference besides the size. A sponge filter if left to bubble to the top can be quite noisy, but with the Hamburg filter, and an uplift tube, you don't hear much at all.

Wouldn't I need a power head to get the required flow ?

No, you don't use a powerhead, you use an air driven uplift tube.

The flow across the sponge ( and not just any old sponge ) has to be slow enough to allow the microbes to do their work. Too fast and then you get bypass channels and insufficient nitrification.

Why these flights of fantasy?

Foam: be careful that some foams are not aquarium safe, they are all petroleum based compunds, and you'd have no idea if they leech into the water...

Powerhead: Graham, that link you posted shows how to use with a power-head. Also, I'm interested as to how much experience you have with these things to be suggesting them to newbies...

Seriously...

Water changes, + other filter, save for a bigger unit...

I have a Hamburg filter that I purchased from Likoma here in my tank. Made from Poret foam. I also bought the airlift with it. Keeps my tank cycled and is very low noise. You do have a large blue sponge in your display tank, but I'm told it gradually turns brown as it is colonized by microbes. I've also used standard sponge filters before that and found them to be quite effective but just a bit noisy.

If you already use an air stone in your tank, this still disrupts the surface for oxygen exchange, and possibly loses less CO2.

Mine doubles as a tank divider to keep incompatible fish separated.

Other advantages ... low power, little maintenance, and in the event of a power failure, you can keep the water filtered using a battery powered air pump.