Pike Cichlids - Any around?

hovmoller

I have seen two for sale as part of a large set up in the Hawkes Bay on trademe, about 4-5 years ago IIRC. Not sure what happened to them though, I couldn't find a way to get them up to Auckland (were about a foot each) unfortunately. So they have obviously been imported before, at least once, in a small quantity. I'd love a few of the smaller ones as part of my dream SA tank, like the video I posted the otehr day...

Very aggresive genus though but very interresting.

I always thought they were more predatory than aggressive, anything small enough to be eaten doesn't stand a chance but larger tankmates are ignored except for when breeding. But I haven't done that much reading on them so could be wrong..

I always thought they were more predatory than aggressive, anything small enough to be eaten doesn't stand a chance but larger tankmates are ignored except for when breeding. But I haven't done that much reading on them so could be wrong..

Yeah they are ok with other big fish but are pretty hard on each other.. very territorial around their hidding spot.

I had a few when I was younger C. sp Xingu something. A yellowy kinda color.. used to feed them molly fry/young... Have very fond memories of keeping these.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a lovely female C.johanna,about 14inches. She bunks in with 2 quite large Aequidens,one of which is very dominant and there's a bit of jaw locking occaisionaly,but nothing serious. I've thrown in several small fish earlier on when I first got her,but never saw her take one,though that wasn't the reason I put them there. Thankfully I now have her on dry and frozen food,so no need for feeders now. I've never had more than one in a tank,so can't comment on conspecific aggression.

A couple of us are putting together an order for import,and C.regani are on it,and well priced. I lost a young C.saxitilis a couple of years ago.

Will get some pics up when I get a chance.

Never put a photo up here,so will try,have a bit of vino onboard,so may not get it right 1st time!

I think it's a johanna,not confirmed. This is her when I was acclimatising her,dripping water into a 70ltr tank,so she's well stressed and not showing her colours as best she could.

pikey.jpg

I am sure i would like to fee dthem:D

but i have decided, that my n ew tank direction is 'bite the bullet' direction.

2500Litre plus tank.

Arowana community tank. Good and proper. So no more random cichlids, fh plan.

im talking many arownaws, not many other fish in the tank, but plecos.. royals, i love them!

maybe a couple of parrots, a dat, some dither fish....

but focus is on arowanas.

im thinking ideally:

3m x 1.2 m by 70 to 80h.

mega filtration, extremely high flow

stocking

4/5 black aros

2 silvers

1/2 red

1/2 gold

1 green

1 TRUE banjar red

1/2 rtg

more of a arowana species medley tank.

not about the 'status' of certain species... so choosing to do the rtg instead of a high back rtg.

thats my next tank.

its either gonna happen with in the next 5 to 8 months

or 2 to 3 years.

no middle ground lol