Peppered cory

Belladona

Hi there, Newbie to the forum and as from 9 months ago - new to tropical fish, I have 3 peppered Corys, one of them has grown extra long fines, in that normal? I asked at the "fish shop" but they just frowned, any ideas. I would like to add a photo but not sure how

Does it look similar to this ?

If so its a long finned peppered cory which are relatively common these days.

long20fin20pepper20cory.jpg?t=1342789191

I did not know you could get long fins. Thanks. If I had seen one in the shop I would have thought it was a different species of catfish and not a cory :oops:

Thanks guys for the feedback, gonna try and drop a photo in tomorrow, don't know if it will be as good as posted that is a really good photo. The cory's dorsal fin is thick and is almost down to the end of his tail, and his pectoral fins are long and way out to the sides, the rest of his fins seem the usual size

I'm not sure where the FS got him from, I'll ask when I'm in there - hopefully make it tomorrow after work so I can pick up my new Julii, I think we have the wrong environment to breed cory's eh, let alone have the experience. When we got him he certainly didn't look like this. I took a couple of more photos today to try and give you some idea of his pectorals - not easy as this guy just doesn't know how to stay still - LOL

fish1.jpg

fish2.jpg

cories are easy to breed, all you need is a seperate filled and cycled tank for the breeding to occur (with a few hidey holes), willing participants (2males 3 females preferably), foam filter (cheapest easiest option), heater, bucket of rainwater, a razor blade and an icecream container and air stone

get the tank set up and the participants settled down with LOTS of bloodworms/live brineshrimp naupili/whiteworms/boiled egg yolk/mozzie larvae etc... (you get the idea, they want to be FAT) and wait for the next storm front to arrive. as soon as the barometric pressure drops do a 50% water change with unheated rainwater, this normally send them into a spawning frenzy. make sure your heater turns on to reheat the water though

eggs are laid near the water line and can be scraped off with the razor blade and put into the icecream container filled with some tank water. float the icecream container in the top of the tank to keep it warm and add the airstone with just enough bubble to keep the water moving without blowing the eggs all over the place. I like to add meth blue here to prevent fungus.

but many people dont with good success. wait a couple of days and you should have many tiny "scooters" in the icecream container. feed them on microworms and fry liquid for the first few days (if you can get it live brineshrimp naupili) and then switch them over to fine flake and pellet foods after about a week or 2 depending on growth rates (if they are in a bigger tank they tend to grow faster but are harder to feed without fouling the water.

Thanks for the info of breeding corys, it certainly would be cool seeing a group of tiny little scooters bustling around the bottom of the tank. It does sound relatively easy and very tempting, would have to get a new little tank though or wait until the platy babies find new living arrangements, they are in the hospital tank at the moment.

I asked the FS where the peppered corys came from - they were breed locally.

In general, what temp do you have your tanks at and do you keep it constant temp or fluctuate it?

Peppereds are one of the easiest cory to breed, it is said that doing a good sized cold water change will stimulate them to breed as in the wild it indicates heavy rainfall that makes the levels of the rivers rise and will give an abundance of food for the fry. Others find their corys spawn when the air pressure drops before an approaching front. Some just breed like flies with no apparent intervention needed!

Once they have laid eggs I would keep the water temp in the fry tank constant.

Egg yolk is good food but it is very easy to overfeed and cause a disaster with a bacterial bloom. Live food like lumbriculus, whiteworms, grindals, daphnia, mossies etc.does the trick. Another way is to use a bare tank and a flat leafed plastic plant and just keep removing the plant each time it has eggs. I used a half dozen and rotate them.