My trip through Africa and Europe - Rwanda 28/7

Adrienne

I have just returned from three months travelling through Africa and Europe so I thought I would share some photos with you. They are not all lovely scenic pics, there are some very real life stories shown in these. Please feel free to ask any questions. I will post them over a number of days as not to bore you.

We flew via Kuala Lumpur - Bangkok - Nairobi - Johannesburg to Victoria Falls Zimbabwe.

Victoria Falls in their glory

IMG_1909.jpg

IMG_1895.jpg

IMG_1872.jpg

The bridge linking Zimbabwe and Zambia and the gorge below it

IMG_1868.jpg

IMG_1867.jpg

IMG_1904.jpg

Our hotel -

IMG_1866.jpg

We then flew to Nairobi. We did not stay in the five star tourist hotels. In fact the driver who later dropped us back to our hotel said that never in his 25 years had he dropped tourists in the part of Nairobi that we stayed in. However it was a 3 star but only cold water and no toilet seat.

Our view from the hotel and the surrounding streets. This is the true view of Nairobi, it is not necessarily the Nairobi that tourists get to see. In the second set of photos we visited some mission schools in the tin slum area of Nairobi. No water, no sanitation. The children we met are beautiful, friendly and talented. They were happy to see us and sang and recited for us. A lot of the songs were from their life experiences; orphaned by HIV, poverty, child abuse.

Nairobi streets - you will note the mud. This was only the very beginning of the wet season but there is no drainage.

IMG_2629.jpg

roadsides.jpg

slum1.jpg

IMG_2636.jpg

by our hotel

IMG_1950.jpg

school suitcases stacked on the roadside for sale

IMG_1958.jpg

The slum area, we are talking hectares and hectares of tin/cardboard buildings here

slum5.jpg

slum6.jpg

One of the mission schools, the buildings are on the left and the play area is where the children are sitting.

slum3.jpg

slum2.jpg

this was the Library - a single sack of books holding text and library books. I say was because 3-4 weeks ago the school was broken into and the books stolen

thelibrary.jpg

a class of young children, up to 35 inside a tin room about 5x6 metres

IMG_2692.jpg

Lunchtime - the children lined up and waited patiently for what is for the most of them, their only meal of the day

IMG_2712.jpg

Spot me in this photo. This was half the school. Those lucky enough to be able to pay the NZ equivalent of about $6 had the necessary gumboots. We had to buy some too but left them behind for the volunteers who run the school and teach there. No paid staff here!

IMG_2035.jpg

It was a very thought provoking, humbling and worthwhile experience to be able to meet the children and the workers there. We visited 5 out of 6 of the schools run by our contact in Nairobi.

So sad but so inspiring, nice pics Adrienne.

It was, very much so. I thought after visiting India 7 years ago that I had seen the worst but in fact Kenya was by far in a much worse state. The people there are lovely, even wandering in the streets near our hotel we did not once feel at risk. We are hoping to assist in the slum areas in some way. While a lot of people say that the task is too big, even if you can assist one person then you are making a difference.

After Nairobi we flew to Kisumu on the edge of Lake Victoria which we used as a base to visit our sponsored child Oscar, who is in the Rangala Family Project run by Childfund. Oscar was orphaned at the age of 4 and has been cared for since then by his step uncle (same father as Oscars father but from his no. 2 wife. Oscars mother was the no. 1 wife) and step uncles wife who have three young boys and another child on the way. We took gifts for Oscar - Oscar only asked for one item from a list however we were able to supply all and we were also in a position to be able to pay his school fees for the next two years which is when he will finish secondary school. They are a lovely caring family and we were so happy to meet them.

Pics - Oscar with my husband - his caregivers - their family

IMG_2101.jpg

IMG_2092.jpg

IMG_2087.jpg

Lake Victoria

IMG_2147.jpg

IMG_2184.jpg

local scenery and at on display at the local park

IMG_2212.jpg

IMG_2214.jpg

IMG_2219.jpg

IMG_2228.jpg

IMG_2120.jpg

a view of life in the Kisumu/Rangala region, children walk kilometre after kilometre to school. People sitting on the roadsides were everywhere, just watching life pass by

IMG_2254.jpg

IMG_2118.jpg

Cichlids at the aquarium in Kisumu. Tanks were not well looked after. These cichlids were also found on my husbands dinner plate at nights.

IMG_2192.jpg

IMG_2196.jpg

We headed to the Mara, a drive which due to the rain the night before took 6 hours instead of the normal 1 1/2 - 2.

Arrived mid afternoon and headed straight out on safari until dusk. The next day we had two more drives and visited the Masai Village. Not a way I would choose to live -no water, no electricity, very dark smokey little huts which they share with the young stock and a lot of very smelly manure filled mud. Oh, and flies everywhere, in the kids eyes, up their noses, in their ears. However, who is to say they would be better off if they moved into a city like Nairobi!

We were fortunate to see 4 of the big 5 on the game drives plus a lot of other animals and birds

Masai Village

IMG_2381.jpg

IMG_2388-Copy.jpg

IMG_2395-Copy.jpg

IMG_2393-Copy.jpg

Some of the animals/birds -

the leopard, one of the big 5 rarely seen

IMG_2285-Copy.jpg

a pair of cheetah, out hunting at dusk

IMG_2442-Copy.jpg

hippo, nearly as wide as they are long

IMG_2410-Copy.jpg

water buffalo

IMG_2370-Copy.jpg

elephant

IMG_2361-Copy.jpg

and the classic photo - giraffe at sunset

IMG_2322-Copy.jpg

the Ugandan or Crown Crane as it is more commonly known

IMG_2380-Copy.jpg

Eagle?

IMG_2364-Copy.jpg

and last one - Ostrich, not quite with its head in the sand!

IMG_2316.jpg

We then headed to Lake Nukuru (known for its pink flamingo) via Lake Naivisha (where Out of Africa) was filmed -

Lake Naivisha

IMG_2479.jpg

IMG_2514.jpg

IMG_2503.jpg

IMG_2495.jpg

IMG_2365.jpg

Lake Nukuru - more pelican were present than flamingo

IMG_2554.jpg

IMG_2576.jpg

white rhino - solitary and a grazer of scrub

IMG_2586.jpg

black rhino - found in groups and a grass grazer

IMG_2546.jpg

2 of 3 lioness sleeping up in a tree, waiting for the nearby zebra to come under them for shade

IMG_2593.jpg

baboon - the first of many

IMG_2540.jpg

Off to Zanzibar, Tanzania (also known as the Spice Island)

lovely beach resort, somewhat marred by the hawkers if you set foot on the beach. Lovely Stone Town. Dozens of lizards in the hotel grounds. This was our break before heading for two weeks of safari through the Serengetti and Ngagorongoro Crater.

IMG_2754.jpg

IMG_2764.jpg

incredibly effective taxi service

IMG_2775.jpg

IMG_2792.jpg

IMG_2799.jpg

IMG_2800.jpg

IMG_2806.jpg

IMG_2808.jpg

IMG_2811.jpg

IMG_2820.jpg

IMG_2823.jpg