compost bins as an unlimited live food source

dino

I thought I could start a discussion about free live foods fetched from the compost bin.

I know its has to be purely organic etc.

Currently I am using it as a source for white worms, (even the odd maggot!). I am sure there is more.

If anyone can post photos of what we should or should not avoid, or treatment before introduction. I am sure we will all profit from it.

So far I have not noticed any bad side effects like deaths or disease (last 5 years),I do not use cooked food, meats, bread, citrus or strong vegetable matter such as onions, garlic etc. Purely peelings, coffee, tea bags, fruit etc all organic.

Thanks

Hey Dino that's a good idea. I read somewhere that if you put a potato cut side down on a heap and turn it over a few days later there are usually white worms but I've never tried it. How do you harvest your worms?

Alan was that you with the potato trick?

can someone tell me what these are? and is it safe to feed my cichlids or goldfish with these

bugs.jpg

Thanks

They're called bugs, and yes.

They're some kind of beetle larvae, you'd probably need to let them change into beetles to ID them more accurately. Not important, toss them in the tank.

I've been getting the really small tiger worms from my organic worm farm... discus love them and hasnt seemed to be any problems so far... I always wash them first in fresh water.... Anybody else using worms from their worm farms

Hey Pete I use newly hatched tiger worms and eggs for my tropicals, my goldfish eat adult ones, sometimes my fish even eat the debris from the worm farm, I keep it very organic.

Slug eggs are also a favourite, white worms are so far the best though.

Also since I have been doing this, I found my aquarium plants flourishing, could slight traces of vermiculture be doing this?

Fish are not in the slightest bit ailing. (I do not keep discus)

Dino.

• 11 months later...

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4807

just asked my mate(Google) and its a bit of a mixed view. But from what i can gather they aren't really "poisonous", but rather the secretions they give off when attacked give a nasty taste, in turn the fish will not eat them and they will rot in the tank, and the rotting/excess secretions in the tank is the part that kills the fish.

So going from that if ya fish likes them, they should be fine as there wont be any left overs. and eggs would be fine as they have not developed the necessary glands(right terminology?) that secrete the "poison".