Noisy internal filters

Jaide

I purchased a new Aqua One 104F filter and couldn't believe how noisy the motor is. I'm thinking of getting either a Fluval U4 or Hailea HL-BT1000 as a replacement instead - does anyone have either of these that can tell me if they're noisy or not?

Also, with the Hailea - it's for aquariums 90-360 litires - that seems quite a large range of tank size to filter....

only noisy if they have air in the impeller or the impeller shaft is broken.

open it up and check to see if the plastic plate covering the impeller is fitted in correctly.

have used the hailea before and found that there is a small gap at the base of the motor that doesn't seal properly (untill you silicone it) and has extremely strong suction, lost 4 danios to it before i realised where they were going.

personally don't like any of those filters except as current generators

only noisy if they have air in the impeller or the impeller shaft is broken.

open it up and check to see if the plastic plate covering the impeller is fitted in correctly.

Well that part fell apart when I pulled it out of the box as the plate covering the impeller just sits on top. I took it apart to see if anything was broken or not fitting properly when I found it was so noisy but I think it's because the divider plate just sits on top and does not fit more securely that must be the problem - maybe a design flaw.

have used the hailea before and found that there is a small gap at the base of the motor that doesn't seal properly (untill you silicone it) and has extremely strong suction, lost 4 danios to it before i realised where they were going.

Must be why it's good for a tank up to 360 litres if it's that strong - I won't get that one then.

I don't think it's the impeller, it seems to be the motor itself which is very loud.

impossible, the 'motor' is an electromagnet, there are no moving parts to make noise. the only moving part is the impeller.

also check to see if any grit/stones have somehow got inside it, sounds to me that the cover is not fitting right, it should be easy to remove but should hold itself there. if its a hissing sort of noise then the it might be the venturi, and removing that attachment should fix it.

So, exactly how was it making any noise when you removed the impeller?

And yes, it's broken; it should be a single piece and not 3 pieces. Weren't you going to return it?

I'm still waiting to hear back from the seller - I have asked for a replacement impeller to be sent as the filter is brand new.