altolamprologus comp hyper extension jaw?

smidey

i have noticed one of my alto comps seems to have a hyper extended top lip. it looks to be stuck out, it looks as if it's trying to sort it but cannot seem to get it in. there looks like a clear bone along the ridge of it's nose and seems to protrude a little at the top which looks to be keeping it lip extended.

I expect it is due to fighting with one of the others, anyone know what i can do if anything to sort it.

there are some fine bones in there,

it may have as you said done it while fighting and has jammed the front lip bone,

you may find the ends of this bone has locked onto the inside of their normal location position

some times it is as easy as using some tweezers and pulling the lip forward and letting the bone drop back into place

first pic i found from fishing fury

stripedbass-skeleton.jpg

yeah generally, is behaving like she has a sore mouth i guess

Behaving like some giant chased her around, dragged her out of the water, tried to suffocate her and then tried to rip her lips off.

Fish are ungrateful things. :slfg:

Looks much better though, must be nice being able to actually fix something.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Unfortunately this is actually a common occurrence due to a genetic weakness in the cartilage. In AUS these guys are so inbred that you see this 'dislocation' quite frequently and it will continue to happen. It's a natural action for the comps to extend the jaw/mouth to grab fish. They are after all predatory fish!

Good job in fixing it :)