How do I know if my tank has finished cycling?

amb44

Hello,

I am not sure how to tell if my tank has finished cycling. I know that there should be 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and some nitrates (not sure what the best reading is for this?). My tank as of today's water change has 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites (haven't yes tested for nitrates). I've been doing daily water changes for a few days now to get these readings down to zero. I will be continuing to test every day with water changes as needed, but for how long should I be doing this? The tank has been set up in all about a month, with 3 apple snails from the beginning and fish (originally 12 tetras, now 6 thanks to betta, and 1 betta) for two or three weeks (can't quite remember). I didn't know about cycling before I got set up but have bought an API master test kit and will happily test regularly but don't really want to have to be doing it every day, and would love to be able to do weekly water changes too.

Once the tank is cycled, how often do people do water testing? Is it every week when water changes are done or simply when the fish or the tank is looking a bit off?

Thanks,

Amy

Hi Amy,

I do 20% water changes once a week for my community tank, and twice a week for my breeding tank.

I used to get my water tested once a week, but after three results all being identical, I stopped wasting the pet store's time and test equipment.

Once you have had a nitrite reading and got it down to zero you should be cycled.

Once cycling i only test if i do something substantial to the tank to keep an eye on it like extra stocking, filter clean or a major substrate move. So pretty much hardly ever.

about 25% water change for me every couple of weeks, but i can stretch this two 3 weeks without noticeable change to nitrate levels. But just need to do what ever to keep your nitrates in check. A nitrate test before and after your water changes will help you work out what you need.

Oh that's great! Thanks Hamstarr! I think my nitrates are slightly higher than ideal and I will keep checking ammonia/nitrate for a week or so and make sure the nitrates are getting reduced through water changes, but otherwise fingers crossed this tank is sorted :)

Amy