Algae increase

Belgianbiscuit

Hi,

I have noticed that there has been a significant increase of algae in the last two weeks.

Now I'd be surprised if this is a cause somehow but it seems to coincide with me adding two java moss, a pair of bolivian butterfly and 10 neons.

Prior to that I had no algae. The light conditions haven't changed.

Could there be a reason for this? Is it because the tank is stabilizing somehow?

Cheers

umm, where it came from is kinda pointless as algae can be transferred long distances in the air

more likely that the moss has a dead spot in it from when it was bunched, or there has been a nutrient spike due to the addition of extra fish.

You could cut the lighting down but without seeing the parameters of the tank in this thread it's a little hard to give suggestions. My tank lights are only on for 6 hours a day but then I run low tech tanks. If you have a lot of fertilisers or C02 in there then doing that would cause problems.

• 4 weeks later...

So I have reduced my lightning to 10 hours or so. I probably have reduced the amount of food somewhat but the algae are still there.

I'd say probably increased over last week. I think what I see is black brush algae.

The light tube says "extra day hi-glow 40 W". I have no clue about lightning, should I look at something different. Most of the plants are affected. Initially it was noticeable on java moss but now my ambulias are getting really affected.

I also start to get small bushes on background and some rocks.

I have one bristlenose but he can't keep it clean :-)

Cheers

10 hours a day then imo the tank is getting too much light. Cut it right back to around 4-6 hours and that will help. Have it on so you can see it when you are home or in the evenings. The fish can see in the daytime without a light :wink:

Are your plants growing?

I have found that siamese algae eaters are pretty useless at the cleanup of BBA unless you can make sure they don't get fed anything else. Also they grow really big really fast. Cheaper just to dose with flourish excel. Also yes, high flow does encourage BBA to grow.

• 2 weeks later...