Post photos of your live food set ups!

Joe

Hey guys,

I really want to get some live food cultures set up for my Green Neons because I would love to breed them successfully. I would like to see photos of people's live food set ups and hear about your experiences with different types of live foods and how you culture them. I am looking at getting microworms and whiteworms, and I have a blackworm culture running which is extremely prolific. But I need some smaller stuff too for when the fry have used their yolk sac and are just starting to eat.

I want to try and keep it as simple and as cheap as possible too because I have limited funds at the moment.

Thanks,

Joe

Actually Alan :slfg: it is more accurate to to say newly hatched Artemia franciscana

The San Francisco strain is a smaller sub-species of Artemia franciscana which is not necessary and more finicky to hatch.

The strain at Lake grass maria ( spelling?? ) is most closely related genetically too is the San Francisco sub species and is very uniform in size making it very special for size sensitive aquaculture, however it is also a pain to hatch as you mentioned.

Artemia Salina is also imported from time to time and it's nymph are to large for "free swim neon fry".

I got a coloney of white worms going. Easy as, cost 20 odd bucks to buy a small punnet of them and now I have a few ice cream containers full now.

Only thing was trying to get my fish to eat them wen I drop them in :facepalm:

your fish didn't like them????

I have to be careful of my fingers if whiteworms are on the menu

Maybe you need to use a larger worm :o .

Years ago I had an Adult breeding pair of Jack Dep's, they would take a good 5 minutes to eat a large worm, suck it in spit it out and so on but each time they spat it out it was a little bit smaller until :happy2: Happy fish

I see your cyclops pond and raise you my brine shrimp pond...

saltworkspreharvest.jpg

:slfg:

There is not much to see in photos of live food cultures Joe. Usually, as said, just an ice cream container or similar covered in porridge, cat food etc :-?

Awesome!

I used to have tonnes of daphnia the blackworm tank when I had a light over it, because the light created green water. But for some reason the worms didn't do as well so I removed the light and the daphnia population went down. I might have to consider setting up a seperate tank for the daphnia but I'm not sure whether I'll have the room.

Cheap, small and perfect for neons would be infusoria. Just put 'infusoria for fry food' or something similar into google and it should bring up heaps of info but basically all you do is put a piece of lettuce in a jar of water, put it on a sunny window sill and wait. The water will go cloudy and thats the infusoria :)