Filter maintenance....

Carlos & Siran

I've noticed there seems to be 2 schools of thought when it comes to the frequency/necessity of cleaning your filter

Some say clean them often or the filters will become blocked, becoming less efficient whilst over loading the bio-load of the filter. (I seem to read this more often on official type web sites)

Others say leave them alone, or clean them infrequently, over time the filter becomes full of the good bacteria necessary to keep the tank in balance. ( I hear this from experienced hobbyists who have been there done that)

We have a heavily planted tank with plenty of filtration but the tank is fully stocked and we want to do the right thing for our pets.

So what is right? clean or not to clean?

i clean out my canister filters every 4 to 6 weeks, when the flow in significantly reduced. if your using a trickle filter i would clean or replace the wool/pad regularly like weekly to keep it moving and then the box with media every 4 to 6 weeks. that's what i have always done and it seems to work well.

i believe there is more good bacteria in the tank than in the filter so in my thinking the filter isn't as important for that side of things. When i clean out the canisters i do remove the lot and hose everything clean.

If you notice the flow is reduced, then clean the tubes.

Try to leave the filter media alone as much as possible. This is where a lot of you good bacteria is stored, and should only be cleaned out once every 6 months or so. The filter wool and sponges will only need a rinse to clear any blockages. Some people rinse the bio noodles, I don't.

depends on the fish in the tank, I have a planted discus tank that get cleaned out once every 3 months or so and it is normally rather clean inside (Don't touch the noodles, only clean out sponges) but I also have a Tank with 3 large Salvin's Cichlids that needs the sponges rinsed every 3 weeks even if I use sludge destroyer.

cycle is for when you start a new tank isn't it?

i have seen stresszyme used at my LFS for transporting fish, I wouldn't be wasting my $ with any of that. i only ever used dechlorinator when i lived in town, now i use no chemicals at all and don't actually have any here at all.

Personally I only use the dechlorinator because chlorine is added to our water supply where I live. I too thought Cycle was used when just starting up a tank. Don't know about the stresszyme.

Take care,

Caper :P

Heh, I think common sense shall prevail. Don't fiddle too much but don't let it get ridiculously filthy either.

Thanks for the replies.

Common sense is that you've probably got better things to do than splash around in buckets full of water, fish poop and unidentifiable brown sludge.

And that time usually would be better spent doing a water change if you didn't have anything else more entertaining.

After all the advice on here I only lightly rinse my filter wool out in tank water when its not going as good as it should or the tank is really dirty

All those years of washing them under the tap.............

Didn't know then, since learning off here i loose harldy any fish :thup: :thup: :thup:

Ahh, which remands me of another product.

Do you guys use stresszyme or cycle and if so how often.

We use it once a week with every water change, and have mostly had very stable tanks, I'm not sure I could sleep at night without it, or have we just been sucked in by good marketing?

Stresscoat is water conditioner / dechlorinator. Helps with the slime coating on fish. As I am in town, I use water conditioner with every water change. Others in my local club don't use any, and they see no effect. My water seems to be heavily chlorinated, so I do use it.

Stresszyme is live bacteria, like cycle. They recommend using it with every water change, but I think it is more for getting a tank established than continuing to keep it cycled. I use a small amount of a different brand (TLC or something) on every second water change.

I use no products in my tank and clean the filter out every 12 - 18 months when the flow reduces. As said, it has a lot to do with the type of fish you keep. Some nibble on plants too so the filter clogs more often in that case.

I am due to clean the filter again so I will try to remember to take pics. I remove about a 2L container of sludge when I clean it out. This does not seem to cause problems in the tank but it is heavily planted and lightly stocked.