Giant bullies!

Stella

I went spotlighting last night in the Te Henui stream which runs through New Plymouth. Started at the coast and followed the stream in for a couple of km.

Didn't find huge numbers of anything, but there were various bullies, lots of whitebait (mostly banded or giant kokopu - small, non-spotty and yellowish despite being fresh-run), sparse eels, a single teeny cray and various shrimp.

Mostly I wanted to find giant bullies. :happy1: Likely here because it was so close to the sea.

Sadly I left my waders in Wanganui so I could only catch two without falling in.

Fish 1.

This was the most unperturbed fish I have EVER caught.

105Medium.jpg

It didn't even mind lying upsidedown!

104Medium.jpg

Definitely a BIG bully (14.5cm) but common bullies can get that big. The facial markings don't look particularly 'common' to me, but the flecks along the body look too vague to be a giant. Not sure on this one.

103Medium.jpg

Fish 2: 16cm.

So much BULLY! :D

112Medium.jpg

Now here the body flecks are really clear, and the white spots on the lower half of the face are really strange, and the head seemed even more tapered (when it shut its mouth). This one I am pretty sure is a (medium-sized) giant bully :thup:

115Medium-1.jpg

Showing your age there Cricketman...:

Indeed! I think he was slightly before my time :P

Went fishing again last ngiht, same stream. got a NINETEEN CENTIMETRE giant bully! :nfs:

(bear in mind that most bullies I see are <10cm)

That isn't the original Basil Brush either. The replacement was nowhere near as good as the original who was really a sneaky subversive little fox. :wink:

I am starting to wonder who the bully is around here Stella! :slfg:

Indeed! I think he was slightly before my time :P

You aren't that much younger than me and I can remember Basil

Went fishing again last ngiht, same stream. got a NINETEEN CENTIMETRE giant bully! :nfs:

(bear in mind that most bullies I see are <10cm)

We wont believe you without photographic proof :digH:

Nice fish. :)

I had a strange dream last night where I was diving in this river looking for huge bullies but all I found was a platypus :o

Interesting...I had a dream that I had a bunch of zebra plecos rolling around my house in hamster balls going "Nononononononono"

:nfs:

I suspect that he would beable to eat just about anything he came across in the stream, even not so small trout

I can so picture him sitting there with several inches of trout tail sticking out of his gob lol, if giants are anything like my bullies i'm sure they'd happily swim around with their mouth stuck open until they can finally get it down :slfg: