My 1400 litre project!

jasonnz

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from Pupuke - I have some new house guests that will be moving into the tank in the next little while...

Also picked up some new hard wood. I now have a very good selection to finish the scape on the left hand side of the tank.

Now to dismantle part of the tank (good thing nothing has been growing for too long just yet .. I hope I dont upset anything ..

Casper .. the BGK is living in a tree at the moment. I will see if I can take a picture for you later today.

Good price for the tank considering it is 15mm glass!!

Big tanks aren't cheap, thats just the way it is. I didn't spend quite as much on my 1400L because it wasn't planted, although I probably spend as much on filtration as you spent on lighting...

Yeah I didnt want to skimp but then again - i didnt want to go silly either.

I was quoted 5 - 7k just for a tank and stand custom built and a 5 grand lighting package without even thinking about fish, substrates or plant or filtration.

z3rtcbpu.ho3.jpg

ust removed the bad wood. Now contemplating my next step.

tomorrow I am going to replant the Glosso in smaller bits to finish the carpet i want.

I will then take some decent pictures. Lights are off now .. so can't take a pic without the blurriness.

Have a fantastic night fishkeepers!

I think this looks MUCH better !

It's hard to see what it will look like once it's filled out . But with carpeting (or attempting to carpet) it should look stunning.

I can't see any problems with adding more java fern on the wood ? :thup: Perhaps some clumps or Narrow Leaf or even Windelov would look fantastic.

Perhaps some tall skinny plants e.g http://www.fnzas.org.nz/?p=856 Cyperus Helferi or similar would add some height to your layout from one or both ends of the tank ?

I think this looks MUCH better !

It's hard to see what it will look like once it's filled out . But with carpeting (or attempting to carpet) it should look stunning.

I can't see any problems with adding more java fern on the wood ? :thup: Perhaps some clumps or Narrow Leaf or even Windelov would look fantastic.

Perhaps some tall skinny plants e.g http://www.fnzas.org.nz/?p=856 Cyperus Helferi or similar would add some height to your layout from one or both ends of the tank ?

Thanks ... yes .. just off to the right there is another tank with alot of spare plants. I will go through tomorrow and see what I can find. In the background is actually jungle VAL and one or 2 other taller variety of plants. This will nicely fill in the back behind the wood.

I wanted to mix wood and rock .. but .. finding it hard to visualise a layout ... so I opted for 2 different scenes .. A more traditional planted garden on the right .. and a who knows what on the left.

My wife agrees that rocks and wood mix would look cool. I'll sleep on it.

IMO I think you need to build up and take advantage of your depth? Maybe some taller wood plantedwith java fern , just an idea, that way you don't have an open top part

I have always planned to have a large amount of open water in the top of the tank. I think it's good for the fish .. but on seeing some of the other planted tanks - i might reconsider.

Yes, everyone is very happy - it is a very active tank.

The plant growth is amazing me. I might even the glosso has gone absolutely stupid. I will be pulling it out one night this week and replanting it. I didnt have time today. It has doubled in size in just 7 days which is unexpected.

I have more moss than I know what to do with .. I have already pruned 2 times since it was put in. I think I have the trees looking good now. The grasses have really come to life as well. I already feel like I should be pulling the dwarf hairgrass out and splitting it up again.

I will bring the camera in tomorrow and take some more pics for this journal and for those who are interested.