help with breeding bristle nose please.

MARY ANN

Probably, though it is more age than size. They need to be old enough to breed. I have found them to be sporadic breeders. They will do nothing for ages then suddenly produce continually for a few months then stop again. This repeats over the years.

my current ones will only breed in one specific cave under a log, i have tried heaps of others but they will only go there.

the person I got them off had them for 2 years with out a spawn, then they found that cave and haven't stopped except when I took it out for 2 weeks.

my current ones will only breed in one specific cave under a log, i have tried heaps of others but they will only go there.

the person I got them off had them for 2 years with out a spawn, then they found that cave and haven't stopped except when I took it out for 2 weeks.

i must get them some wood in their tank. next door built a beck so they will have some

make sure your wood is properly treated as beach drift wood is going to be full of salt (and oil if your in Tga :tears: )

it will need to be boiled and soaked untill all the tannins stop leaching

also av oid using garden center drift wood as it is sometimes roundup'd to prevent moss growth

This is not necessarily so. I have several pieces of driftwood picked up from the beach. They were just hosed off and added to the tank. No boiling or soaking required as they were already waterlogged and never leached any tannins (only some do this). The salt washes off and any remaining is so diluted in the tank as to be negligible.

Try to have one male and two females, your chances will be better that way too, and then one female won't get harassed the whole time. Driftwood or bogwood is a big neccessary for bristlenose, they need it to aid in digestion. I found my males to be at the 7 cm mark to start chasing the females around and cleaning out small spots and the females so far has been small I had one at four cm be a mum but most at about 5cm. I had two stones very tight to each other but with a slight gap inbetween and the male would dig a hole underneath it and then chase the female in there, they like it to be a very tight spot, they feel that they can protect the eggs easier and keep the young together easier, so the smaller the caves the better, I wish you all the luck, but its really up to them :wink: