Bonjours from Tauranga! :)

mathieu_sabas

Hi everyone,

I'm currently studying Marine biology at Bay of Plenty Polytechnic and have a real passion for aquariums.

I started playing with fish tanks when I was living in Mauritius at 12 year old and haven't stopped since.

I had a maximum of 7 tanks in my bedroom, from basic tropical fish to discus or from gold fish to predator - I tried a bit of everything.

I only started looking at this forum a few days ago, with a big 800L NZ fresh water native project in mind.

I have collected about 10 species of fresh water weed from local streams but mainly from Tarawera river (recommended for a snorkel, it's stunning!!!!).

I got about 70L of gravel from Lake Rotoiti, I don't know yet if it's going to be enough, will see when the tank will be made. I found some nice drift wood on Waihi beach that are soaking in a big barrel.

I don't know yet what native species I will put in it, dependson what I find. I already have some fresh water shrimps caught from a local stream (they are a really good entertainment). I'm planning to dive for some more species when the tank will be fully cycled.

I was looking for advise on filtration for such a big tank, I found out that the Fluval FX5 could do the trick.

So if anyone have a second hand one they want to sell I might be interested.

Cheers

Mathieu

oh-la-la.. mathieu_sabas, NZ is a great country to live and plenty of native speices..

just to remeber dont reel up a koi carp..its a very forceful decision to make... :slfg:

weee"..FX5 is a great filter and iam sure there are a fews guy in here are wanting to pick it up at good price too.. :thup: