Grey mullet fry, now with video

blueether

not smelt or yellow eyed mullet

possibly grey by the shape

a lot of bait fish are being chased inland by kahawai etc at the moment

http://www.niwa.co.nz/our-science/freshwater/tools/fishatlas/species/grey_mullet

The grey mullet is the second member of the Mugilidae (or mullet) family found in New Zealand. In common with the yelloweyed mullet, the grey mullet has two dorsal fins, the first being tall and with four obvious spines. They also have large, easily dislodged scales. Technically, the way to tell the two species apart relies on the presence of the thick fleshy adipose eyelid found on the grey mullet. However, grey mullets also lack the bright yellow eye found on the appropriately named yelloweyed mullet.

the grey mullet has two dorsal fins, the first being tall and with four obvious spines.
Well they do look to have four obvious rays to the first dorsal fin so I guess I guessed right.

I have a feeling that 8 mullet will out grow the ~55l tank that they are in at the moment.

They are active little fish, the biggest is about 30mm, and look to be feeding by sieving the substrate

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on how the mullet are doing, one has died today and another is very thin and I doubt will make it. These two are the only two (out of the 8 that survived the trip/new home/first 2 days/etc) that have not taken to eating algae tabs.

They don't seem to like green algae but love brown algae (diatoms) and have taken to the algae tabs well and are mostly keeping weight on after loosing a fair bit in the first week or so. Now that they are eating well it will be interesting to see how fast they grow.