Tank too small for Discus?

FraserNZ

Hey Guys,

I'm thinking about down sizing my planed tank as the weekly water changes are begining to be too much of a hassle, volume wise. I have a 100cm x 40cm x 35cm which works out at 140L that I'm keen to plant out with java and glosso, Just going to keep this one simple...

My qustion is... Do you think that a tank this size will be way too small for 5 discus, they are around 5 months old currently and are still quite small, the biggest being around 5-7cm. I'm planning to run a 305 fluval and a second filter of around the same size as filtration so the water will be very well filtered, with weekly water changes.

Cheers,

Fraser

When growing out young discus many people have bare tanks and do daily 50% water changes

I did daily water changes up until they were about 3 months... Now they are at a pretty good size as well as being in a 300L tank I don't really see the need as even with weekly water changes the water doesn't get very dirty. EG, nothing ever shows up on the test kits.

discus need really good water quality. if you're not into water changes they aren't the way to go in my opinion. also wouldn't put them in that tank

50% water change every week? That quite a bit of mantaince isn't it? My issue is the volume I'm currently having to deal with each week. If I cut the volume in half, then my water changes will be a lot smaller.

The tank that I will be using has a very big foot print for its volume, that's why I'm hoping it will be ok with heaps of filtration, and 50% weekly water changes.

How big is phoenix's tank? That looked quite small, and seemed to work with discus in it...

Sorry mate didn't read your original post properly and assumed you wanted to reduce frequency of water changes. That said, discus prefer a tank with more height than the one you intend to use. Doesn't mean it won't work, just not ideal.

If you have used aqadviser it would also have told you that your tank is not high enough. true?

Buggar... and that it did. Just realised, looks like anything under 60cm is going to be too small. A tank 60cm high is out of the question as I'm into plants too much...

Is 35cm going to be enough or is that just too crual on the fish?

With constant water changes you are constantly stripping the tank of the nutrients that the plants will benefit from. You can do it but something will loose out. Be it the plants that are constantly loosing their nutrients and it will cost you heaps to dose the tank every water change, or the Discus who dont get the water changes they require for healthy growth.