Oscar in a 35cm tall tank?

Morcs

Yes sophia very sorry :hail: :oops: very frustrating though

Morcs a juvie oscar under 12 cm will be fine for a year or so

U said you had good filtration tank size is good have all boxes ticked for a juvie

they are very cool fish good luck with him

Yes sophia very sorry :hail: :oops: very frustrating though

Morcs a juvie oscar under 12 cm will be fine for a year or so

U said you had good filtration tank size is good have all boxes ticked for a juvie

they are very cool fish good luck with him

Mine is only a Juvie, yet people have been slagging me off as much as possible.

I had a differing opinion that people didn't like. I was basically called every name under the sun, and someone went as far as telling me to just give up keeping fish??!?

You know, we're all entitled to an opinion. I'm not stupid. In fact, I'm a Law student at University. I've been keeping tropicals for a couple of years. And trust me, I look after my fish. I would not do anything to them that I felt would cause harm. Ask anyone that knows me in real life - my fish are my pride and joy.

I've chatted with many experienced fish keepers, and they've all said the same. Oscars do NOT need hundreds of litres of water as long as the dimensions and filtration are right. My Oscar is fine at the moment whilst it is growing. Although you may like to hear that I have just picked up a 76 x 38 x 38 tank. The Oscar will be living by himself with VERY adequate filtration. Will it get a bigger tank at some point? Most likely. But for now, it is fine. Active, feeds from my hand, nice colours, no signs of stress etc. The second it even hinted at being stressed, things would change.

People warned me that this website 'is full of people that love to show off and shoot people down to boost their ego'. Looks like they were right. I never got a chance to explain myself. Instead, I had my head ripped off - all for having a differing opinion.

I'll keep my account active for the sake of the trade forum and learning new things to boost my knowledge. Just don't expect me to post much - some of you have shown your true colours.

Horizons, I've been reading through your posts and can't find a reference to the actual size of your Oscar - have I missed something?

You have referred to him as being a juvie and half grown and now have highlighted Morc's post about his fish being 12cm. If your fish is as small as Morc's and had stated that in the first place you probably wouldn't have gotten such an ear bashing. It's very easy to react emotively when people don't tell you the whole story so perhaps you could enlighten the folks who are worried about your fish.

The people on here are very helpful actually check your own posts and youll understand why you get slack.you came out saying an oscar is fine in a60cm tank mate i dont care what you study its still not acceptable and a real fishkeeper would know that. opinions aside u said you had a half grown oscar in a 40litre tank even if it is a juvie you need double that size tank of yours.morcs is starting off with a 120cm tank and your upgrading to just over half of that.duhhh

Horizons, I've been reading through your posts and can't find a reference to the actual size of your Oscar - have I missed something?

You have referred to him as being a juvie and half grown and now have highlighted Morc's post about his fish being 12cm. If your fish is as small as Morc's and had stated that in the first place you probably wouldn't have gotten such an ear bashing. It's very easy to react emotively when people don't tell you the whole story so perhaps you could enlighten the folks who are worried about your fish.

I can't accurately say how big it is without taking it out and measuring. Oscars vary at full size - from 24cm to 30cm usually, I think?

Mine is probably around 12-15cm. Hence the 'half grown' comment and highlighting of 12cm. Either way, it means the same thing - not full grown + still has a lot of growing to do.

I've had users make me out to be absolute scum, when I'm actually not. Its just...disappointing. Can someone not have a differing opinion without being flamed?

The people on here are very helpful actually check your own posts and youll understand why you get slack.you came out saying an oscar is fine in a60cm tank mate i dont care what you study its still not acceptable and a real fishkeeper would know that. opinions aside u said you had a half grown oscar in a 40litre tank even if it is a juvie you need double that size tank of yours.morcs is starting off with a 120cm tank and your upgrading to just over half of that.duhhh

Don't call me mate. So I'm not a real fishkeeper? Ok, whatever helps you sleep at night.

For your information, a 60 x 30 x 30 has a capacity of 60L.

And don't 'duhh' me. Being talked down to is a pet hate of mine. I guarantee I'm more intelligent than you. Don't even try me.

If you can't be civil, then don't bother talking to me.

Does this place have an 'ignore' function?

Have you killed your Frontosa yet ?

Nope. In fact, its fully recovered.

The floating pellets were no good. Its an agressive feeder, and was gulping in air.

I held off food for a few days. Then fed peas. Then started feeding sinking pellets.

All sorted.

For your information, a 60 x 30 x 30 has a capacity of 60L.

Try again buddy, it's 54L and that's completely full.

And don't 'duhh' me. Being talked down to is a pet hate of mine. I guarantee I'm more intelligent than you. Don't even try me.

Yet you have an oscar in a tiny tank. Surely you just look at the tank and realise it's way too small. Even your new tank is too small. Sorry, but it is.

Does this place have an 'ignore' function?

Like your fishes happiness, eh?

Maybe this didnt help you get a good name for yourself

I have a half grown Oscar living by himself in a tank 60cm x 30cm x 30cm. Minimum decoration, good filtration. I don't plan on getting him a bigger tank any time soon. He will be able to turn around quite easily and can swim his body length when full grown. I've had no issues at all. Very active, always swimming happily, coming up for food etc. Don't listen to the idiots that say an Oscar needs 60G of water or whatever -they're full of crap.

Nope. In fact, its fully recovered.

The floating pellets were no good. Its an agressive feeder, and was gulping in air.

I held off food for a few days. Then fed peas. Then started feeding sinking pellets.

All sorted.

good stuff , so didnt need to use a needle ? Would love to see pics as Fronts are cool fish

good stuff , so didnt need to use a needle ? Would love to see pics as Fronts are cool fish

Nah. I fished it out and had a quick feel for an airy lump. Couldn't see / feel anything out the ordinary, so I knew it was relatively minor. I wouldn't have done the needle unless it was a matter of life / death and I was certain it would cause no lasting harm.

So yeah, 2 happy Fronts again :)

just a reminder of the forum guidelines

this includes posts as well

Topics of this type will be removed and action taken against the poster(s):

- sensitive topics (political, religious, sexual reference or sexually oriented content etc)

- subjects/content not suitable for children to read

- profanity, swearing or implied swearing

- disrespectful, obscene, vulgar or abusive posts

- posts intended to create a reaction

- personal attacks and/or slander

- illegal, or promoting illegal behaviour

please think before you post

just a reminder of the forum guidelines

this includes posts as well

Topics of this type will be removed and action taken against the poster(s):

- sensitive topics (political, religious, sexual reference or sexually oriented content etc)

- subjects/content not suitable for children to read

- profanity, swearing or implied swearing

- disrespectful, obscene, vulgar or abusive posts

- posts intended to create a reaction

- personal attacks and/or slander

- illegal, or promoting illegal behaviour

please think before you post

I've had enough of those aimed at me from other users.

I expect that action has been taken against these people?

tried to just remind all of the rules

but if you like the law can be applied fairly towards all those who posted contravening the rules

Yes, I would like that.

Apparently I've had a warning from you.

So its only fair that others get the same treatment, right? I got flamed to hell and back, purely for having an opinion.

I've modded before, and we were told that consistency was the main thing.

I have a half grown Oscar living by himself in a tank 60cm x 30cm x 30cm. Minimum decoration, good filtration.

I don't plan on getting him a bigger tank any time soon. He will be able to turn around quite easily and can swim his body length when full grown.

I've had no issues at all. Very active, always swimming happily, coming up for food etc. Don't listen to the idiots that say an Oscar needs 60G of water or whatever - they're full of crap.

Let people start flaming me. This thing is my baby. If he seems happy and acts happy, then in my opinion, it isn't a problem.

People keep full grown Arowanas in 5ft tanks that are only 2 ft wide. The things can't even turn around properly and aren't able to swim their body length. Yet thats apparently perfectly acceptable.

You got flamed because you practically asked for it. You are dealing with a bunch of dedicated fish-keepers that don't just keep fish at home for the heck of it, but because for many of us fish-keeping is more a passion than any thing else. Have a read over your post and think about it.

You should remember that getting a high mark in an IQ test is absolute proof that you can get a high mark in that IQ test. It tells nothing about you fish keeping skills or much else. You have an agressive way of posting and that seems to be stirring some people up a bit. We can all learn from each other if we stick to the rules and post in a friendly manner.

You know, we're all entitled to an opinion. I'm not stupid. In fact, I'm a Law student at University. I've been keeping tropicals for a couple of years. And trust me, I look after my fish. I would not do anything to them that I felt would cause harm. Ask anyone that knows me in real life - my fish are my pride and joy.

My bad, I'm just a dumb train driver with no degree who has only been keeping fish for about fifteen years.

One question though, have you ever seen a 12"+ oscar in person?

My bad, I'm just a dumb train driver with no degree who has only been keeping fish for about fifteen years.

Indeed.

How the hell Law school translates to mean you can be a jerk cos your "smart", I'll never know...

And I'm just one of those "idiot" Marine biologists that has about 12 years experience too.

You see, All you have done is alienate a massive knowledge base with your foul attitude, blatant arrogance and ignorance...

Ignorance on its own isn't a problem, and is not neccesarrily your fault. Ignorance after you KNOW your doing it wrong... :an!gry

I don't plan on getting him a bigger tank any time soon.

This is the part that got me...

You got flamed because you practically asked for it. You are dealing with a bunch of dedicated fish-keepers that don't just keep fish at home for the heck of it, but because for many of us fish-keeping is more a passion than any thing else. Have a read over your post and think about it.

Bang on there P44! :thup:

I've had enough of those aimed at me from other users.

I expect that action has been taken against these people?

Boo hoo. &c:ry

Keep your fish properly and take some advice from people that obviously have WAAAAY more experience than you, and maybe even a little respect, and you wouldn't have a problem...