Running a chiller over winter?

blueether

Now that the weather is cooling down I was thinking of dropping the temp of the chiller down to sort-of match what is happening in the real world. The temp is set at 17 deg at the moment, what it ran at all summer. I was thinking of maybe dropping the temp by a deg or two each month over the next 5 untill the temp is about 10 deg.

I would think that with the two 5000 l/h wave-makers running all the time and with the CF1200 plus a 3200 l/h powerhead the temp will stay warm-ish even over winter. But in saying that the cf1200 is outside so should help with cooling over winter, and the pump is inline so shouldn't add too much heat.

Then I though if I drop the temp too low I'll end up with a condensation problem like I have had a few times over summer.

How have you run your chillers over winter, and what are your thoughts?

Should I drop the temp down to 10 or have it a bit higher, should I even worry and just turn it off in a week or three if the temp wont climb over the current 17 deg?

should I even worry and just turn it off in a week or three if the temp wont climb over the current 17 deg?

It should be controlled by a thermostat anyway, right? So what's the point of turning it off when if the temperature is low enough to switch it off already? Best case it makes no difference, worst case you taking away a little insurance in case it does get warm.

It should be controlled by a thermostat anyway, right? So what's the point of turning it off when if the temperature is low enough to switch it off already? Best case it makes no difference, worst case you taking away a little insurance in case it does get warm.

True, but if I turn it off I can bypass it and have more flow through the canister filter - not that I need the extra flow I guess.

Colder water means less active fish. It is so much harder to find natives fish over winter.

I suspect it is day-length cues that affect breeding, if that was part of your thoughts.

Yes that was part of my thinking. My poor fish must have a screwed up circadian and Infradian rhythms with the tank lights coming on at anything from 6am to 5pm and turning off sometime before 1030pm (or all night if I close the door and unremember to turn the lights off)

Yes that was part of my thinking. My poor fish must have a screwed up circadian and Infradian rhythms with the tank lights coming on at anything from 6am to 5pm and turning off sometime before 1030pm (or all night if I close the door and unremember to turn the lights off)

It's too bad noone has invented some kind of chronometer switched electrical controlling device that might be used for turning these lights on and off. I know it would probably cost hundreds, but one day with a lot of research and development and mass production I can only dream that they might get as cheap as $10.

It's too bad noone has invented some kind of chronometer switched electrical controlling device that might be used for turning these lights on and off. I know it would probably cost hundreds, but one day with a lot of research and development and mass production I can only dream that they might get as cheap as $10.

:sml1:

unremember

I love this word... I'm gonna use it!

best post ever...................