Best external filter for a 600L tank

Jellymeat

Hi there,

I am about to double the size of my mostly South American discus community tank. It will be reasonably planted.

And I am want to know peoples opinion on what filter to get.

I have been looking for a short time and I am thinking on a Eheim professional 3 2075 or the 2080.

Just wanting to know if there are any other ones out their.

I don't have the biggest of budgets as i still have to get the tank and stand but by the looks of it, i am assuming that it will be around the 600 mark.

I was also wanting ti know if anyone has used or is using the Eheim professional 3e 2078 and do you think it is worth the extra money?

OR would it be better to have to smaller ones?

Thanks in advance

I have the 2080 and I don't think its that good as a filter

Its great for holding as huge amount of media and it is really quiet but i dont think it cleans water that well.

Parts are expensive and its made from really hard plastic which to me is very brittle (I have snapped bits off)

I have just bought the Fx5 to replace it and my water is now clear

In my opinion If you are looking at spending that kind of cash then grab the fx5

I've got a 3e 2078, and it's very nice. I use the 12 hour bio function so the fish can rest with low flow at night :yaw1:

Dunno if it's worth the extra as it's my first Eheim, but it's a great filter with a ton of media and a very strong, quiet pump.

The only negative is it's a bit fiddly to prime and get going. By comparison, my cheap-ish Aqua-El self primes like a champ, is also very quiet, but doesn't have anywhere near the throughput.

Mine keeps the water very clear.

If you find the flow in the Fx5 too much have a look at the spray bar mod on Youtube.

I have mine on a 750 liter and its not too much.

It is a wee bit louder than other filters but i find cleaning it is way easier than the eheim

Check out trade me for prices against other stores

If you find the flow in the Fx5 too much have a look at the spray bar mod on Youtube.

I have mine on a 750 liter and its not too much.

It is a wee bit louder than other filters but i find cleaning it is way easier than the eheim

Check out trade me for prices against other stores

Yeah i saw that clip earlier today and seems pretty easy to make the spray bar.

I have and eheim 2215 and an aquaone 700.

I find them really quite as i have them on separate tanks and they are in my bed room.

I defiantly find that the 2215 isn't the easiest to clean. But haven't yet cleaned the aquaone as i have only recently set it up.

I have checked the prices on trademe and they a pretty much the same price as HFF

Have a Aqua CF1200 and a Eheim 2213 on a 430lt tank. Good having inlet and outlet at each end. Plus one is mostly for BB and the other cleaned more regularly. Another bonus is if one packs up you have at least one until you replace the other :thup:

I have been looking at the fx5 but do you think the flow rate will be to much?

It only does about 2400 LPH, so that alone is about 4x per hour. My 440 has about 7000 LPH of flow including powerheads and I'm inclined to think it needs more. :)