Burnt Turtle ( *WARNING GRAPHIC PICS* )

DonnaM

This young male ELN arrived an Saturday after being abandoned by his original owner. There is a vague story about him being burnt with a light. Although I'm not totally convinced about the light he does have horrific burn injuries. 3 feet are deformed stumps. The fourth is an open wound which the RES sharing his tank has no doubt been biting at :( He has an area of new skin which is smooth and soft along the back of his head/neck area instead of the normal lumpy skin.

The bone of the carapace at back of head is slightly exposed and the scutes are a mass of white and pink scar tissue. It's unclear if he will be able to shed his scutes, although the Australians I've been chatting to think it may all shed as a mass if it does shed. Otherwise he may end up being deformed?

I'm treating his back foot with Flamazine burn cream and even in a couple of days it's looking less raw and angry. He must have suffered terribly and will still be in pain.

Surprisingly he is bright and active...a little fighter :thup:

2012MarchConservatoryELNAWFULINJURIESJessicasabscess044.jpg

Huh, I'm not exactly an expert but that doesn't look like I'd expect a burn from a light to look. I'd expect more of a specific area than all over like that. Like just front rather than also down towards the back. Almost more hot water or chemical burn.

Back left foot :cry:

2012MarchConservatoryELNAWFULINJURIESJessicasabscess032.jpg

2012MarchConservatoryELNAWFULINJURIESJessicasabscess029-1.jpg

2012MarchConservatoryELNAWFULINJURIESJessicasabscess051-1.jpg

2012MarchConservatoryELNAWFULINJURIESJessicasabscess019.jpg

2012ELNBurnt021.jpg

I will post these pics in the Stickied Turtle Rescue topic, but I wanted to give T.Rex his own thread, so people can see what the effects of a fallen light can be. (Or whatever else it may have been that burnt him.)

Huh, I'm not exactly an expert but that doesn't look like I'd expect a burn from a light to look. I'd expect more of a specific area than all over like that. Like just front rather than also down towards the back. Almost more hot water or chemical burn.

Yes, I completely agree, particularly given the burns to the feet as well. But I need to put out the story that I was told as well. (Although it was about 4th hand.)

I wouldn't have thought a dodgy UV bulb would burn? Especially given the apparent splash areas and head and feet involvement as well? UVs don't produce heat.

Whatever happened, he's horribly burnt and still suffering pain.

Todays vet visit. Foot was sprayed with anaesthetic then debrided and areas of dead skin were cut away. Flamazine applied and he's on oral Baytril.

He hasn't moved since the vet visit.

2012ELNBurnt001.jpg

2012ELNBurnt004.jpg

2012ELNBurnt005.jpg

2012ELNBurnt003.jpg

2012ELNBurnt007-1.jpg

2012ELNBurnt006.jpg

Yep. thats all covered in the UVB bulb explanation thread :D The UV can definately cause serious eye problems and having a heat light next to it helps prevent the turtle looking up at the UV light and burning their eyes.

This turtle has full thicknes burns through skin and to the bone. Caused by heat as seen in the twisted scar tissue etc. I guess photos don't always show the extent of the damage. Right, off to give him antibiotics.

T.Rex is making steady progress. He's energetic and eating heaps! Having a mix of dry and water time and a special treat yesterday of some time on the lawn. He really enjoyed wandering about. His foot had a good covering of scab over the raw flesh and afterwards I washed it with sterile saline. He was NOT impressed with that!

2012TRexHanmerOTHERSTUFFDOUBLEUP001.jpg

Dry time in the sun/shade.

2012TRexHanmerOTHERSTUFFDOUBLEUP009.jpg

Foot is clean and showing no sign of infection.

2012TRexHanmerOTHERSTUFFDOUBLEUP016.jpg

Exploring the lawn

2012TRexHanmerOTHERSTUFFDOUBLEUP022.jpg

2012TRexHanmerOTHERSTUFFDOUBLEUP019.jpg

2012TRexHanmerOTHERSTUFFDOUBLEUP026.jpg

Rinsing the foot with saline

2012TRexHanmerOTHERSTUFFDOUBLEUP028.jpg

2012ELNBurnt021-1.jpg

Always on the lookout for some food!