Enter the Mantis

Nymox

Mantis Shrimp, squilla armata. Found in shallow waters around New Zealand and Australia.

Mantis shrimp are known to have the fastest strikes in natures, squilla armata are spearers not knockers.

Squilla Amarta can reach sizes up to 2.5 - 3 inches no record captive sizes.

Fine dense sand must be used as a substrate as they must be able to borrow to be able to exhibit natural behaviour.

In the wild they consume small fish and crustacea, but can be fed raw fish and prawn in captivity.

Both sexes show little dimorphism, males are far more aggressive toward other males and usually fights will result in death.

Little is known about the breeding of these creatures, it is thought that the female will go looking for a male at about a year old, where she will be allowed access to the males burrow in order for them to mate in privacy, even less is known about the development of the young but they probably drift around with the rest of the zooplankton.

I will add more information as I learn more

• 4 weeks later...

She didn't eat it, killed it and pushed the evidence into the dahlia anemone. If the prawn didn't have a big hole in it and she hadn't moved in next door I would have just presumed the dahlia got it. It will be interesting once its full grown, quite a creepy wee thing with the eyes on stalks watching you all the time.

Thanks to the invention of the sun I can have a local marine down south, a solar powered pump and light to keep the water moving well and a buried sump for summer. I could even move it to the cellar if that didn't keep things cool enough. I'm going to add to the battery bank and get another solar panel just as a precaution but it seems to be running tank outside nicely here.

L.A. will have to Mantis sit for me till I have a cycled tank set up down there, access to the coast isn't too far away and I have far more land to keep a lot more water so it works out very well.

Yay I get to keep fish! :bounce:

Current setup has plastic plants for fresh water tanks, and is covered in algae. New tank so I kinda don't mind letting the algae do its thing. And the plastic plants are for the sea horse as I won't be able to keep the natural alternative alive for her. A photo would be embarrassing at this stage.

The idea is that once the cemix back wall has matured these guys will grow all over it.

DSCF4334.jpg

Still a very very new tank, good things take time.