New Driving Rules

11 days till the change and this is the first 'official' thing I've seen. Thought they would have had TV ads all over the place. I'm going to avoid driving for a few days after the 25th I think!

Cool little tool.

The reason for this is if you promote it to early then people start to follow the new rules before it actually takes place. This would cause more mayhem. Its quite simple really, Give way to those who you have to cross their path or middle line and are leaving a terminating road(T Junction).

BTW, I got 100% in the above link :wave:

The current system has more work involved (more thinking) than what the rest of the world use, and you are never sure if the car in the centre is going to give way if you have a car behind you... The 'old' rules were inplace as most roads weren't wide enough (in the 60-90s) to have a car sitting in the middle of the road waiting. Now most roads are much improved.

I'll be fine as I do most of my KMs in a truck, and if someone doesn't give way as they should then it is their car that gets squished :digH:

The best way of remembering it as far as I've heard is

"if you're going to be hit in your passenger's door, you should give way"

Sorryt but this doesn't make any sense in regards to the new rule. What about roundabouts and when you turn left into a street? in those cases you would be hit on the driver side but you should still give way.

I think people should stop making up funny ways of remembering the rules and instead just learn the actual rules

I see it as, If I am going to hit someones drivers door then I will give way (except for round abouts) and if they are going to hit my door then they give way to me and I go. Easy!

Its not that hard to figure out. I just have to watch out for other drivers that haven't figured it out.

Sorryt but this doesn't make any sense in regards to the new rule. What about roundabouts and when you turn left into a street? in those cases you would be hit on the driver side but you should still give way.

Check out http://www.nzta.govt.nz/traffic/around-nz/road-user-rule.html

"From 5am on 25 March 2012, this new rule will require all traffic turning right to give way to a vehicle coming from the opposite direction and turning left. This applies at cross roads, T-intersections and driveways where both vehicles are facing each other with no signs or signals, or the same signs or signals."

"Will there be any changes to the give-way rules at roundabouts?

No. You should continue to give way to all vehicles that will cross your path from your right as you enter the roundabout."

Does it make sense now?