My 360L Planted Tank - Update 25/07/13 Page 3

BrendanNSANZ

Have had CO2 going for about two months now, am really happy with the results. Will post progress pic's periodically.

Let me know what you think, I know it's a bit ugly with the hardware at the back of the tank.

In the tank:

Zebra Danios

Glow Danios

Giant Danios

Gold Barbs

Flying Foxes

1 x Male Paradise Fish

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0437.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

is that what its called :D awesome.

i did have one, never knew what it was, didnt last long, think my BN was chewing the leaves (2 leaves) off at the stems. lol

so liking your plant layout, will have to try shuffling mine around abit :D

-smurff

• 1 month later...

Length 1220

Width 500

Height 610

Thickness 7.5

There were a few reasons for removing the wood:

1. Volume, too much wood.

2. Algae, BBA started growing on patches of the wood.

3. Dead spots

4. Too many plants, the lotus wont stop reproducing.. there are about a dozen baby Tiger Lotus in this tank :facepalm:

Agreed that it doesn't look as good without the wood and I need to tidy this tank up a bit. Smaller wood FTW :thup:

I had a 100x30x50cm tank with 5mm glass with a similar safety factor than his tank and it had bracing and it still cracked.

I highly doubt a 400L tank would be fine with 8mm glass. But it does depend on the dimensions though. The higher the tank the lower the safety factor drops so you have to get thicker glass. So if you had it quite high it definately wouldn't be OK. but if you had a really long, really wide shallow tank it would be alright I suppose.

Here's an example;

120x45x60cm 10mm glass 295L - safety factor 2.5

120x60x45cm 10mm glass 295L - safety factor 6

See the difference to the safety factor that the height makes?

BTW I am using this calculator - http://fishkeepers.co.nz/index.php/tank_builder/

:smot:

I wouldn't trust a 1200x600mm high tank in less than 10mm glass.

The lid for my tank (1200x600x600 in 10mm glass) is a neat fit when the tank is empty and wont come off when full, so even with 10mm glass there is a fair amount of bow in the glass

I wouldn't trust a 1200x600mm high tank in less than 10mm glass.

Me either. That's my point - you can have a tank with the same capacity but just swap the dimensions around and you get an entirely different safety factor :o

I understand what you're all saying and the SF is below the 'recommended figure but at the end of the day the tank is in it's own room where only my wife & I go therefore I deem the SF to be satisfactory. If it were in a living area where the kids are then that would be a different story.

I've put a piece of the wood back into the left hand corner standing up, tied java moss to the top, anubias to the middle and java fern to the base. Will post a couple of pic's once it's developed a little.